Gremlins got to my Bike, Need assistance please..Thank you!

HOTEL71

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1981 xs650 electric start and kick
open petcock, pull out choke, put key in on position
push start button-->

#1--No start, bike completely dead
#2--replaced fuses, battery
push start button again, bike still wont start (dead)
#3-Things I notice trouble shooting
I have all lights, turn signals and a horn that all work
with key on, (so new battery good)
But bike still wont start, even with kick

However

If the key is on, and I put screw driver across relay
(follow positive battery cable, go behind side cover --square 2 post relay)
it starts right up!

any ideas?

thanks in advance!

Get a jumper wire and jump the blue (blue/white?) wire on the solenoid to ground. If it starts, the problems in the starter button or the wiring to it.
If it doesn't start, the solenoid's bad.

When you say wont start, do you mean wont turn over or wont fire and run? What actually does happen when you push the e-starter button? Engine turns but doesn't fire or crickets?

Well, you never responded, so I'll add this before I forget...
If your 81 is stock, there's more to it.
On your solenoid, there's two large terminals and two wires.
One terminal is power from the battery and the other is power out going to the starter... those are the two you jumped with the screwdriver.

The wires... one wire is blue/white. That goes to the handlebar switch. Pressing the start button grounds that wire.

The red/white wire is power to energize the solenoid. That's a bit more convoluted, as it goes through the safety relay. You have to have either the clutch pulled in or the tranny in neutral before you get power there.

The easiest way to check that is see of you have 12v there (R/W) with the bike turned on and in neutral. If not, try pulling the clutch in and see if you get 12v then.

Another way for people with an aversion to voltmeters is to jump power from the big battery terminal straight to the red/white wire.... then press the starter button.
That will bypass all the starter cutout safety's.

If it starts then, there's a safety cutout problem.
If it doesn't, it's likely the solenoid.

Well, you never responded, so I'll add this before I forget...
If your 81 is stock, there's more to it.
On your solenoid, there's two large terminals and two wires.
One terminal is power from the battery and the other is power out going to the starter... those are the two you jumped with the screwdriver.

The wires... one wire is blue/white. That goes to the handlebar switch. Pressing the start button grounds that wire.

The red/white wire is power to energize the solenoid. That's a bit more convoluted, as it goes through the safety relay. You have to have either the clutch pulled in or the tranny in neutral before you get power there.

The easiest way to check that is see of you have 12v there (R/W) with the bike turned on and in neutral. If not, try pulling the clutch in and see if you get 12v then.

Another way for people with an aversion to voltmeters is to jump power from the big battery terminal straight to the red/white wire.... then press the starter button.
That will bypass all the starter cutout safety's.

If it starts then, there's a safety cutout problem.
If it doesn't, it's likely the solenoid.
thank you!!

Back