Ground Clarence question

StevieD58

XS650 Member
Reaction score
20210424_132827.jpg

20210424_132827.jpg So back in 2010 built a bobber out of a 1975 xs650 b,hardtailed with a 6 inch stretch and 2 dropped,it sat low,real low.Ended up buying a few HD s and rode them,so the bike ended up sitting for a few years,fast forward I'm now wanting to rebuild the bike,adding a springer front end with a 21 front tire,if I go with a 400 x 18 Avon on the rear would this give me more ground clearance,or would I be better off just cutting of the hardtail and putting a tc bros on it

Last edited:
A longer front end would give you more ground clearance, 4” is typically the normal ground clearance for a rigid.

A longer front end would give you more ground clearance, 4” is typically the normal ground clearance for a rigid.
I'm trying to stay stock size on the front end,I only have about 3 in clearance now,that's why I was thinking if I went 21 front( running 19 presently) and a 4.oo x 18 rear I'd gain the inch I need

I'm trying to stay stock size on the front end,I only have about 3 in clearance now,that's why I was thinking if I went 21 front( running 19 presently) and a 4.oo x 18 rear I'd gain the inch I need
Yeah a 21 up front would gain you some clearance.

I don't think changing tire size will help much.
The overall height difference in the 100or 110/ 90 -19 VS a 300-21 isn't much. About an inch. This would only raise the frame about 1/2 under the engine.
If your going to cton the frame you can adjust the hartail you have to gain some ground clearance. Once you have the tail cut off. Block up the frame to the grund clearance you like then set te tasil you have with a wheel mounted up to the frame. Holding the lower rails to the bottom of the frame, look where the top rails are at the top of the frame.
To get both the bottom and top to line up you may have to cut off a bit of either the top or bottom rails. Once you get this figured out weld it back together.
A frame jig will help if you hve one.
Leo

I don't think changing tire size will help much.
The overall height difference in the 100or 110/ 90 -19 VS a 300-21 isn't much. About an inch. This would only raise the frame about 1/2 under the engine.
If your going to cton the frame you can adjust the hartail you have to gain some ground clearance. Once you have the tail cut off. Block up the frame to the grund clearance you like then set te tasil you have with a wheel mounted up to the frame. Holding the lower rails to the bottom of the frame, look where the top rails are at the top of the frame.
To get both the bottom and top to line up you may have to cut off a bit of either the top or bottom rails. Once you get this figured out weld it back together.
A frame jig will help if you hve one.
Leo
Thank you for the responce,, the present moment I'm trying not to cut the frame,leaving that for a very last option. I only need 3/4 to an inch more clarence as I'm redesigning the exhaust pipes to sit higher going over the side cases instead of under them.

Back