GS650. Received

Shine a light down the filler at the sides and see if there's any weld seams? If it's clean metal you got a real oddball there.
If that tanks been welded on I wanna meet the guy who did it, because he left zero trace of it on the outside... To me it looks like a tank that never went through emblem pocket stamping or a repop made by another company. If it is a modified stock tank that once had emblem pockets they were filled/removed by a master panel beater and their work should preserved for the ages as a masterpiece of custom work. Either way it's very intriguing.:umm:

12A275C2-51CC-4AF1-BA8B-893B799625D8.jpeg
12A275C2-51CC-4AF1-BA8B-893B799625D8.jpeg 12A275C2-51CC-4AF1-BA8B-893B799625D8.jpeg Finally got a picture of the inside of the gs tank.
12A275C2-51CC-4AF1-BA8B-893B799625D8.jpeg

I guess I need to remove more metal??
I wonder if that was done by Yamaha? I think that level of quality work was probably done at the factory and should go back on the bike like that. Maybe since it was a "race bike" it was done to eliminate bits like emblem screws from falling off on the track.

I wonder if that was done by Yamaha? I think that level of quality work was probably done at the factory and should go back on the bike like that. Maybe since it was a "race bike" it was done to eliminate bits like emblem screws from falling off on the track.
Actually, that bike wasn't really made as a "race" bike... it was more to satisfy the 200+ production bike requirement to race in that class. It's a mystery alright. :umm:

Looks like there's a tank liner in there. You're gonna burn that off if you do.
If it's lead, a sharp pocket knife will carve a large chunk out of it pretty easily. Try that first.
You are right Jim. I took a knife and it scrapped off but not a large amount. How much heat will I need to remove it all?

You are right Jim. I took a knife and it scrapped off but not a large amount. How much heat will I need to remove it all?
Hard to say. Melting point of pure lead is about 650°. I don't recall if body lead is pure lead or if it had tin added to lower the melting point. If they did, it's prolly about 350-400°. Either temp is gonna ruin any tank liner. Of course, you could always re-slosh it. :shrug:

Hard to say. Melting point of pure lead is about 650°. I don't recall if body lead is pure lead or if it had tin added to lower the melting point. If they did, it's prolly about 350-400°. Either temp is gonna ruin any tank liner. Of course, you could always re-slosh it. :shrug:
Thanks Jim.

Back