GS650. Received

I am not sure if the front sprocket needs replacing. I think it is close. What does everyone think?View attachment 195594
That's got a lot of miles left on it. both bevel cuts on the teeth still plainly visible. Might double check alignment when assembling. Looks like some side wear?
Check rear mount area, both engine and frame real well? Cracking there a noted issue on early frames/motors.

Got the engine in today. Also installed the carbs and pipes. The new header pipes needed the hole cut bigger where the center stand bolt goes. I got the header pipes from yamahaxs650.com.
86E4EA08-C280-4025-B4A3-B0C4DB4723AC.jpeg
86E4EA08-C280-4025-B4A3-B0C4DB4723AC.jpeg
AD6290AC-CAF1-4757-BDC3-FC252EF66E63.jpeg

Still waiting to finish my painting of headlight ears, etc to get the front end finished. I hooked everything up just for a engine test. Placed a later model tank as a test tank. It did not fit the frame. Propped the tank on a board. I just wanted to see if it would start. It started up right away. Sounds great.

Last edited:
Looks like the strap the badge screws into is missing?

Wow! You’ve already painted all your parts? The speed you move at is unbelievable. Man you just got that bike!
Did you figure out how you’re going to attach the tank emblems?

I`m a little confused.:umm: The pic of the tank with the lead showing was at 8:01 PM yesterday. The finished product pic was at 10:03 this morning. Did you prep, prime, seal, two tone, and clearcoat all the parts overnight??:yikes:

Wow! You’ve already painted all your parts? The speed you move at is unbelievable. Man you just got that bike!
Did you figure out how you’re going to attach the tank emblems?
I used another tank that I bought for this build. The one that needs the emblems I am still trying to come up with something.

I`m a little confused.:umm: The pic of the tank with the lead showing was at 8:01 PM yesterday. The finished product pic was at 10:03 this morning. Did you prep, prime, seal, two tone, and clearcoat all the parts overnight??:yikes:
I wished I was that fast. Used another tank.

me I would look at using an adhesive on the back of the badges and just use the heads of the screws to give the impression of the badges screwed to the tank rather than trying to mount screw lugs on or solder threaded sockets to the tank but would the heat damage the tank sealer ?
also I'm impressed with how fast this bike is happening, you will be looking for another project soon I bet, maybe the 81 XS650 on craigs list thats not a bad buy.

Back