Guss's '80 special - it's alive!

Guss I had the commando kit from xs650direct the cheaper version. Its a nice kit and they sounded awesome on my 77. I dont think I ever had to use the reducers. Here is a pic after a couple years of riding. I like that 2 in 1 exhaust you have. Ohh and do like the white on your bike!
IMG_5292.JPG

Thanks ;) I’m contemplating a blue pattern on the tank. Something like a xs2 scheme. But white seems good for now.

The system I have is pipe: 1.5 od and mufflers 1.75 id.

The reducer has 3 sleeves. 2 fit, but not super tight. 3 doesn’t fit, but might if I hammer them in. Hmmm. Not sure. I’ve asked xsdirect for advise as well. I have all parts now except one reducer that was missing, which Is already in the mail. :)

I looked on XS650Direct and had no trouble finding the complete Commando systems or the 2 different Commando mufflers. However, their descriptions for the mufflers are wrong for one of them. Both claim to come with reducers and fit different head pipe sizes. Only the #0015 is like that. The #0065 is the 1.5" inlet version and what you would want for 1.5" head pipes. If you got Emgo universal fit mufflers with reducers, those aren't the Commandos. The Commandos are an "XS Performance" part.

Ya. The web site is not very detailed. And apparently wrong. Ugg.

I asked them before I ordered which mufflers comes with the special system kit (07-0747) and they said #0065.

I’ve sent them a note asking for clarification and if they have any “commando” mufflers that fit a 1.5 pipe without a reducer. Keep you posted!! :) and thanks for the help !!!

Ok. Here’s some info I got from xsdirect today and a variety of previous emails ;) maybe it will help others. they have 2 commando Systems. One for standard xs and one for specials. Both systems use the same pipes (1.5 od) part #07-0754 and muffler - 07-0065 (1.75 id) which require reducers. Only diff is the hardware kit required to install to either a special or standard xs.

In a different communication before I ordered, they informed me that the only diff btw the 2 commando mufflers is in the baffle. 0015 has a dyno tuned baffle, 0065 is a regular baffle. They did say that 0065 “should” be a tad quieter, so since the kit comes with the 0065 mufflers, and I like quiet, I figured the special kit would be best for me.

And finally, when asked if they had a commando system that fits 1.5 pipe to muffler with no reducers required - the answer was no.

Now for the pictures on their site(s)... some show reducers some don’t. Completely confusing, inconsistent and really no help at all. Lol. Eg... Look at mikes commando system for specials with “upswept” pipes!!! (07-0764). Those mufflers actually look like they have a very small inlet.... but alas, the spec says muffler used is #00-0065 which we already know is 1.75” and also the system is “sold out”... I wonder what makes them sold out... because both the mufflers 0065 and upswept pipes are still available to buy separately.., hmmmmm.

So... I don’t know how you guys got commando systems with mufflers that fit without reducers. Perhaps mikes did sell them at one time, but don’t anymore. If you remember how you did it and where you got them ... please share ;)

image.jpg image.jpg Does anyone know how to use these reducers? 3 sleeves is too big, 2 is not enough. And the clamp just won’t squeeze more than a couple mm.
I’m going from 1.75 id muffler to 1.5 od pipe.

Xs is no help really. They told me to pay a mechanic to install it or tweet it as necessary till it works. Ugg

Any help Would be appreciated. I’m 10 min from returning the system :(

I really hate the reducer set-up, they pretty much always leak. You'll need to use as many reducers as will fit and then just tighten the piss out of the clamp. But, if you do that, there won't be any returning them, it'll mar up the end of the muffler and bend/mar the clamp. And it still won't seal well, lol. See that curvy slit down the sides of the reducers? It never closes up completely so they leak. You can coat the whole shebang with silicone gasket sealer but there's still no guarantee it'll seal, and it's messy. Too bad they don't make the 1.5" inlet Commando muffler anymore. Time to find something different I guess, like this maybe .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Norton-Com...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thanks for the quick advise! Those norton style pipes look sweet! I’m now stepping away from the ledge lol. Time to hit a few hundred tennis balls and re evaluate the situation :)

Thanks!

Be aware that hanging the muffler from just one bolt head in the sliding track isn't going to last long on a vibrating 650, lol. I thought this system came with a length of bar stock drilled and tapped for 2 short bolts, that could be slid into the track? That way, you're clamping to the whole sliding track and that distributes the load/stress. I used an original hanger bracket so had 2 bolt heads in the track, but even that didn't last long. I changed to the bar stock in the track and that is holding.

No it doesn’t. And the left side pipe is way too close to the frame when bolted down. Muffler too close to axle. I figure I’ll use a longer bolt with spacers. Thanks for the tip!!!

Guss. The kit that I got for my 77 was 07-0748 came with a set of black brackets and no spacers for mufflers which slid in the headers. The mufflers also had the chrome brackets with multiple holes in it as shown with the commando mufflers if purchased seperately which I didnt use. Wonder if that kit could be adapted to your bike without having to frig around with the spacers? And by using the chrome multi holed brackets could mount at any angle and location. I know all about the spacer sleeves cause needed to sure them with my mix matched headers and emgo mufflers on my current bike. Just tightened them down the best I could without bustin the bolts.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice. I will do a bit of shopping today. One of the issues is that the muffler clamp bottoms out (clamp tips touch) before any clamping even happens. Maybe a smaller clamp with more bold thread would be better or even a different type of clamp.

I also tried a length of 1.5 pipe.... which in conjunction with the largest sleeve, works a tad better than 2 sleeves... but it doesn’t compress of course. I would have to cut a channel length wise, or get to to fit tight to the pipe tightly somehow, image.jpg then clamp muffler to it. Hmm.

I have some red exhaust tape that is quite thick (+1mm) that is supposed to fuse to surfaces and seal leaks when it gets hot. That could work like the gasket sealer note from 5twins... and maybe take up some of that extra space ... enough to clamp down on. :)

Lots of things to try now. Thanks guys!!! :)

Last edited:
5twins.. I just read read your note on the sliding track. I thought you were talking about the frame mount piont under the foot pegs..., lol. Great idea... but no, the system only comes with 2 s brackets for hanging the mufflers off the passenger pegs.

Yup... superjet... the mufflers came with the long chrome hangers with holes, but are not supposed to be used. Maybe I’ll need them though.. :)

I wonder if a machine shop could machine a couple of adapters for you Guss.....

It would really be a very simple lathe job - if you took the pipes and mufflers into the shop, they could likely turn a couple of nice aluminium adapters in an hour or so. The level of precision required isn't high - and they could even be chromed or just polished so they would blend in.

I'd make the new pieces a very light interference fit on the header pipe (cool the pipe and heat the adapter to assemble). An interference of around 0.002-0.005" would do it, I'd say. It looks to me as though the muffler actually can clamp down on the pipe or adapter, it so if the new piece was sized correctly, it ought to work well.

The other advantage of a properly machined adapter would be that you could make the adapter the appropriate length to help the mounting bolts fit nicely.

....just an old engineer doing a little thinkin'....:geek:

Last edited:
The Commando mufflers used to come with the drilled and tapped lengths of bar stock to slide in the track. They didn't at first, then did for a while, now it looks like they don't again. MikesXS (and probably XS650Direct) does sell the part separately, but $14 for a pair of steel bars? I just made my own.

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-steel-exh-bracket-with-bolts.html

My buddy and I don't have the "systems", we bought the headpipes and mufflers separately. For me, that was the only way they came at the time (no full kits available yet). For my buddy, it was cheaper than buying the system. An issue both of us encountered was that the sliding track on the muffler was too far back. Apparently the "kit" headpipes are shorter than the separate ones. On my Standard, the track missed by just a little .....

wrooSt0.jpg

..... but on my buddy's Special, it was much further off. On his, we utilized that chrome strap with all the holes to mate the muffler to the hanger bracket .....

OJqIb1u.jpg

1OPlWf8.jpg

Bottom line - even aftermarket systems supposedly made for your particular bike usually need some tweaking. I highly recommend you get or make up the bar stock insert for the sliding track. Like I mentioned, just hanging by a bolt head isn't going to last very long.

Awesome photos 5t. :) thanks.

My current system is hung from only one bolt and not tied into the frame at all. Lol. 2-1 loud and leaky. ;) .. surprised it hasn’t fallen off yet. Lol.
I will explore the hanger bar you mention.
Xsdirect in Canada still sells it.

They also sell a 1.75 - 1.5 reducer. I wonder if that one is any better than the 3 sleeve reducers. Only 1” long and looks like it has a ridge in the ends. Hmm. 2/3rds down the page.
http://www.xs650direct.com/products-44.html

Awesome photos 5t. :) thanks.

My current system is hung from only one bolt and not tied into the frame at all. Lol. 2-1 loud and leaky. ;) .. surprised it hasn’t fallen off yet. Lol.
I will explore the hanger bar you mention.
Xsdirect in Canada still sells it.

They also sell a 1.75 - 1.5 reducer. I wonder if that one is any better than the 3 sleeve reducers. Only 1” long and looks like it has a ridge in the ends. Hmm.
http://www.xs650direct.com/products-44.html

Back