Hagon 2810 shocks

grizld1

Grumpy old man
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Hagon 2810 shocks, 240 mm. eye-to-eye, through Bella Corse Racing. The good: Hagon asked all the right questions before filling the order: rider weight with gear, bike weight, and conditions of use. I asked them to get as close as possible to a spring selection that would yield something in the neighborhood of 30 mm. of laden static sag on the middle preload setting, and indicated that I know how to shim to dial things in close.

They sent me springs with a rate of 20 kg/cm. These produced laden static sag of 12 mm. on the lightest preload setting--unacceptable. I phoned Michael Selman at Bellacorse and complained. He told me that Hagon would not exchange the springs and offered to buy lighter springs out of his own pocket. I couldn't let him do that, so he ordered a pair of 18 kg/cm springs and sold them to me at cost. He tried to excuse Hagon's screwup by talking about weight bias. I said "Nope, that won't flush. 400 lbs. wet, around 60% rear and 40% front, real close to stock distribution, and nothing in the specs Hagon was given that says otherwise. And no, my swingarm isn't sticking."

The 18 kg. springs produced 25 mm. of static laden sag, again on the lightest preload setting. I have nowhere to go on adjustment. Fortunately the combined rebound/compression damping adjustment works very well, and I'm getting an acceptable ride. Hagon should have sent springs with a rate of 16 kg/cm. Being off one step is somewhat understandable. Missing by two steps indicates that whoever filled this order was either inattentive or incompetent. Hagon offered no correction, and Michael Selman, although he meant well, was not well enough informed to make a valid recommendation on the replacement springs. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
I can't imagine being a suspension company, going through all the trouble of specifically asking questions to dial in the ride and even having a knowledgeable person request specifics for their ride, screwing up and not offering to exchange. That's the entire business model, providing upgraded suspension. A suspension company who got the specs wrong and can't even say "our mistake, we'll fix that". shame. Seems like maybe worth going elsewhere if you want install and ride. It shouldn't be on the end user, or hell, even the dealer to fix the companies mistake

Max, there's no logic to explain; they didn't even get close to the appropriate rate. Information and photo of the bike were forwarded to Hagon by the dealer, but he sent the material that I sent him as an email attachment. Here's the cherry on the s--t sundae: those tight sag numbers are on dual rate springs. I'm about mad enough to chew nails.

Michael Selman won't exchange the 18 kg springs, says I'm the one who asked for them so it's on me and up to me to call Hagon and complain. He started yammering that Hagon couldn't see the bike, couldn't measure sag with a micrometer, blah, blah, blah. I told him it wasn't rocket science, and that I'd given Hagon enough benefit of the doubt that I didn't think they'd miss the mark by 4 kg. So it goes. I haven't decided what to do about this mess. So far I've spent about $100 less than the price of a pair of Ohlins double clickers, and buying another pair of Hagon springs would put me there. One thing is for sure, Selman won't see another cent from me.

Sadly it seems that this is the new norm. Push the blame and burden of a companies shortcomings/mess up onto the customer.

It’s happened to me by 3 different parts supplies in the last few months.

Companies don’t seem to give much care about the end user. Your a transaction not a human they are in business to serve. They know they won’t see you at the grocery store (like it used to be when business was local) They often seem to think they are doing us a favor by having their doors open.

I know those shocks are a pretty big ticket, total bummer they won’t make it right.

Max, there's no logic to explain; they didn't even get close to the appropriate rate. Information and photo of the bike were forwarded to Hagon by the dealer, but he sent the material that I sent him as an email attachment. Here's the cherry on the s--t sundae: those tight sag numbers are on dual rate springs. I'm about mad enough to chew nails.
I must admit I find it strange that you wouldn't want to try and get to the bottom as to why the wrong spring rates were supplied.
If it were me I wouldn't get mad. I'd try to get some answers. Loosing your cool won't solve it.

Did you give the data directly to Hagon or was this through your supplier?

I would be inclined to contact Hagon and ask them to explain the logic of a 20 kg/cm spring when it only gives 12mm of sag.
I,m with you there Max.
I bought Hagon shock for my CB750K and had both good service and a great product.
Is this Hagons mistake or the retail dealer. I'm in retail and have dealt with both sides of this coin.
Retailers often hide behind the supplier when things go wrong.

I know what information was given to Hagon. The retailer forwarded my email to them. The bottom line is that they missed the mark on spring rate by more than 20%. The shocks were sent directly from Hagon, the retailer never touched them. At one point the retailer claimed that he only varied sag on his race bikes to adjust ride height. Nothing at all to do with compliance, eh? Incompetence all the way around. But thank you very much, gentlemen, for correcting my attitude.

Retailers often hide behind the supplier when things go wrong.
In my old line of business (Motor manufacturer aftersales) when a parts department said 'It still hasn't come in yet' that would often translate into 'We still haven't ordered it' or 'We ordered the wrong part' or 'We ordered the right part which came in but was fitted to another vehicle who's owner was shouting louder than you'.

There's more than one Hagon dealer out there. I should have stopped talking to Selman when he indicated that he didn't understand the first thing about sag adjustment and compliance. Had a chat about springs with Eddie at Fast Eddie's Sports. He's a Hagon dealer and understands suspension. In for a penny, in for a pound; I'll probably eat my losses and buy a pair of 16 kg/cm springs.

There's more than one Hagon dealer out there. I should have stopped talking to Selman when he indicated that he didn't understand the first thing about sag adjustment and compliance. Had a chat about springs with Eddie at Fast Eddie's Sports. He's a Hagon dealer and understands suspension. In for a penny, in for a pound; I'll probably eat my losses and buy a pair of 16 kg/cm springs.
Sadly you got that right.. We all have 20/20 hindsight.
That first dealer should try harder.

Back