Handlebar switch change

Trevor9

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a right hand switch which is not correct, the light switch has three stops, and my replacement only has two. If I swop the switches over how do I wire the old switch to the new wires. The new switch has two points connected with a white wire. And all the points on the switches don't match each other. I hope this makes sense! The switch with three stops is white.

Attachments

• 20220319_135936.jpg
    20220319_135936.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220319_140500.jpg
    20220319_140500.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 85
The 3 positions would be Off, Low Beam, and High Beam. Use a multimeter on the ohms setting to find which wire in the switch carries power to first one wire and then the other and to nothing in the Off position. Connect that wire to switched power (brown in the OE harness). Connect one of the other wires to low beam and the other to high beam.

The 3 positions would be Off, Low Beam, and High Beam. Use a multimeter on the ohms setting to find which wire in the switch carries power to first one wire and then the other and to nothing in the Off position. Connect that wire to switched power (brown in the OE harness). Connect one of the other wires to low beam and the other to high beam.
The three positions of the switch are, off, pilot (side light) headlight, with the left handlebar switch having the low and high beam, headlight flasher and horn.There are six points on the switch that has three positions with three wires soldered to them and there are seven points on the switch that has two positions with four wires soldered to them with a white wire linking two points together. I don't think I can try your suggestion because there is only one switch that is attached to the bike with power, the other is loose in my hand without power. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
( I don't know why the last bit of text is bolder)
If you look at the top boundary as you post you will find first a symbol, then a B, and then an I, etc. If and when you click on the B for instance you will have bold case, I will be italicized, and to switch off, just click again after spacing from your last strike on the keys. You can click both the B and I and guess what; You got it right!.
'TT'

OK then, I missunderstood the setup. Here's how to connect the headlight. One of the right hand switch wires must be connected to switched power. Use the ohm metert to figure out which one. If there is no connection, then you need to create one. Connect one of the remaining wires to the blue wire that carries power into the dimmer switch. If one of the 3 positions connects all 3 wires, that would turn on headlight and side lights together. There are no side lights in the OE wiring, so you need to figure that out for yourself.

Last edited:
Let's keep it simple. Power from any brown switched power wire in the headlight shell goes to the power in wire of the right switch. Create a connection if you need to. One of the power out wires from the right switch carries power into the dimmer switch on the left handlebar on a blue wire in the headlight shell. Use your eyeball and ohm meter to tell what's what. That's all I can tell you.

Let's keep it simple. Power from any brown switched power wire in the headlight shell goes to the power in wire of the right switch. Create a connection if you need to. One of the power out wires from the right switch carries power into the dimmer switch on the left handlebar on a blue wire in the headlight shell. Use your eyeball and ohm meter to tell what's what. That's all I can tell you.
Thank you very much for all your help.

Back