Harbor Freight. Grrrr....

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
About 6mo ago I bought a 25lb tub of glass beads from Harbor Freight. The stuff worked good. I used up the last of it 'bout a week ago and went and bought some more. Last night I cleaned out the blasting cabinet and went to pour in some of the fresh stuff. Well, what's in the tub ain't glass beads as the label clearly claims it is.... it's a mix of crushed glass and sand.

Just went to Harbor Freight to return it. Manager says no returns, period. They have a no return, no exceptions policy. After 'bout 5 min of a back and forth I was gettin' a little heated. I ended the conversation and came home. This ain't the end of it. Deceptive business practice at the least.... false labeling/advertising.
The stupid part is I'll now burn up precious hours off my lifetime just to recoup 40 bucks.... what bullshit!

Last edited:
That's when you say "oh ya no problem I'm not really returning it. I'm giving it to you out of the kindness of my heart. I'm just going to go down that isle and grab the correctly advertised product and we're square" I can't imagine being the manager of Harbor Freight and giving that much of a shit about my job. Like ya dude go for it grab another box.

I'm just going to go down that isle and grab the correctly advertised product and we're square"
But that's the problem.... it's "not" glass beads even though that's what it's advertised as....

Untitled.png

This is what's in the tub.... plain ol' sand near as I can tell. Sand goes for $3.50 a 50lb bag at the local hardware store. I'll be damned if I'm paying 40 bucks for half that amount.

1653508769610.png

Last edited:
As luck would have it, I used Paypal/google tap'n'pay to pay for it. I just filed a complaint and refund request with Paypal. I gave a very detailed description and plenty of pics to back up my claim.
I looked on HF's website at the reviews.... and I ain't the only one who's discovered they're rippin' people off. I sent a screen grab of that with the complaint also.

HF3.png

About 6mo ago I bought a 25lb tub of glass beads from Harbor Freight. The stuff worked good. I used up the last of it 'bout a week ago and went and bought some more. Last night I cleaned out the blasting cabinet and went to pour in some of the fresh stuff. Well, what's in the tub ain't glass beads as the label clearly states.... it's a mix of crushed glass and sand.

Just went to Harbor Freight to return it. Manager says no returns, period. They have a no return, no exceptions policy. After 'bout 5 min of a back and forth I was gettin' a little heated. I ended the conversation and came home. This ain't the end of it. Deceptive business practice at the least.... false labeling/advertising.
The stupid part is I'll now burn up precious hours off my lifetime just to recoup 40 bucks.... what bullshit!

As a retailer my reputation rely on honesty and good customer service.
I’m just a small outfit selling furniture at he high end of the market.
If I had the attitude of HF I would be out of business in months.
The big retailers have a ‘don’t give a shit’ attitude towards customers. Staff training is non existent and you have to fight for what you have paid your hard earned cash for. Go for it Jim 40$ is 40$, it the principle that matters. Fight your cause and tell the world.

Good thing you used that! In all the years I've had paypal I only filed a claim once. It took not even 30 minutes for them to rule in my favor and get my money back.

I use PayPal often. I have made several claims for various reasons and they have supported my claims. Always got my money back.

Good thing you used that! In all the years I've had paypal I only filed a claim once. It took not even 30 minutes for them to rule in my favor and get my money back.
Been using Paypal for at least 10yrs. This is the first time I've ever made a claim. Good to hear. Thanks Jessee

Weird that your HF won't take returns. I'm pretty sure my HF would have refunded me, no questions asked. I assume that when my HF takes returns, it's the corporation that ultimately takes the hit. I think your HF is just lazy.

I've gone so far as to one time finding the phone number and email address of the vice president of a company that sold be a garage door opener range extender ( the internet can be your friend
After a polite email the vice pres personally called me apologized about his staff giving me grief on trying to return a defective item
He even had one of their engineers call me to see what problems I was having
They told me keep the old one and sent me a new one also
It's also worked with a house insurance company
It just pisses me off when I need to go that route
I'd do it for a quarter

Back