hard clutch pull

The lever was easy to pull because the cover was loose. You actually weren't disengaging the clutch, you were just moving the cover. So, this may indicate an issue with the clutch itself. I can't say what that might be, you'll just have to take a look at it I guess.

Also, it appears you have an early short arm worm. That's going to give a harder clutch pull no matter what.

The lever was easy to pull because the cover was loose. You actually weren't disengaging the clutch, you were just moving the cover. So, this may indicate an issue with the clutch itself. I can't say what that might be, you'll just have to take a look at it I guess.

Also, it appears you have an early short arm worm. That's going to give a harder clutch pull no matter what.
where can I source a long arm worm and is it just basically a remove one worm and put the longer one in
I think I may need to open up the right side case and look in there as it's something that just came up with out me me changing any settings parts etc.
The pull is a tad better with the rerouting of the cable but it's still a hard pull
God I'm happy I have Surprise to ride so I can just take a time out and enjoy the summer while it's still here

You'd have to find a used one. As long as it was an original and not one from Mike's, yes, it would just screw right into your existing female nylon part. There were 2 longer arms produced after yours .....

Mid_and_Late_Worm_Gears.jpg

There is one minor "glitch" with these longer arms - they don't give quite as much pushrod travel or clutch plate separation. The first one Yamaha came out with, the longer one, gave easier lever pull but apparently not enough plate separation. Yamaha then came out with the "modded" version, moving the cable anchor closer to the center. Although shorter, it's still longer than the one you've got, so it will ease the lever pull some. The XS400 "1L9" matches this length and is what I use on both of mine.

You will also encounter 2 versions of the female nylon part. The older ones are white nylon like yours. The later ones are black nylon. The black nylon is harder so should wear better and last longer.

is the neck on the pushrod facing out? (goes inside the worm)
View attachment 221343
I believe so
Sure just because I did replace that seal a parts replacer might have got that wrong :laugh: that was something I actually did replace
I've been in it often enough it won't to tough to find out I might look today yet
it's an easy enough task and I even made sure the seal was still ok should have taken a picture

You'd have to find a used one. As long as it was an original and not one from Mike's, yes, it would just screw right into your existing female nylon part. There were 2 longer arms produced after yours .....

View attachment 221327

There is one minor "glitch" with these longer arms - they don't give quite as much pushrod travel or clutch plate separation. The first one Yamaha came out with, the longer one, gave easier lever pull but apparently not enough plate separation. Yamaha then came out with the "modded" version, moving the cable anchor closer to the center. Although shorter, it's still longer than the one you've got, so it will ease the lever pull some. The XS400 "1L9" matches this length and is what I use on both of mine.

You will also encounter 2 versions of the female nylon part. The older ones are white nylon like yours. The later ones are black nylon. The black nylon is harder so should wear better and last longer.
lets see if I have the pushrod installed wrong and if not I'll locate a longer worm
Just trying to figure out what changed and me being me I may have installed it wrong?
Thanks !!

Well, if the pushrod was installed backwards with the large end out, I'm not sure you could even get the cover back on. I don't think that large end will fit into the worm.

Well, if the pushrod was installed backwards with the large end out, I'm not sure you could even get the cover back on. I don't think that large end will fit into the worm.
I took a direct look at the seal and even wiped it off to check for leaks
You'd think that I would have noticed it but it won't take long for a quick peek

Yes, there are 4 splines in the worm so you could end up with it in one of 4 positions, each 90° from the last one. I don't think you could even hook the cable into it if it's off 90°. Since the arm and cable end up at about 90° to one another, being off would have the arm set parallel to the cable.

1L91stAdjust.jpg

The picture you have posted is the correct position ?
I noticed after I greased it that it could go on wrong but it seemed to me that it could only be installed in 2 different positions
One of the ways as in the spring stretched way to far out so I knew that was wrong
I'll check that out too

!st pic cltch push rod installed ok
2nd shows how the worm was when I opened it up
3rd starting at the 3 o clock position and the 4th the way it is now
That should eliminate those 2 areas
I take it white lithium grease should be good to use here ?
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
IMG_20220809_155915644.jpg

That does not look right. I think you need to start from scratch on the adjustment. Run the adjuster at the clutch lever all the way down then set the worm adjustment with the cover on. The spring is stretched way more than normal. The angle of the worm lever looks all wrong.
1660082412928.png

The angel of the arm is past center, it should be before center. In a perfect world it would travel equal distance before and after center to get the easiest clutch pull.

I'm wondering if your cable isn't too short? :umm:
Like Greg said, run the perch adjuster all the way in and start from scratch.

Back