hard clutch pull

I routed mine to the right side of the bike and then under the carbs
I'm going to try it all on the left side like Jim has
And I'm going to straighten the tube a little where it goes into the case too
I'm thinking that the cable might be too long but it's worth a try
Hey Mikey; look again in that thread I posted :sneaky:....

I see what your getting at
Me going around the filter boxes and the carbs is giving me more bends than I need
I see the crossover on the frame too
The whole routing seems pretty fluid
Thanks !!

But I enjoyed having to take the filter boxes off just so I could jam up the cable a bit :laugh:

Me going around the filter boxes and the carbs is giving me more bends than I need
Yes, you need to think multi-dimensional ;)
Every bend... be it fore and aft, up and down or left to right.... all add to the cumulative amount of bends. The fewer bends the better.

You guys are good
Bolt and unbolt and reroute it's the parts replacers life for me :cheers:
Thanks !!!

On the Tracker I went to the right side of the tank tunnel, then through the frame under backbone but above the breather and behind the carbs. I tested this without the tank and with the tank, good (best I could get) feel and low pull pressure. I have low CB550 Supersport bars with ~2" rise.
16606750324598137541957235828274.jpg
Maybe you need one of these. It is a right hand model but left hand versions are available....
16606753785464495243626824897512.jpg

Latest routing. With the scale could be around 3 lbs less peak pull? Not sure how it will be with the handle bars turned.

Jim where do I find a cable retaining loop like yours? Yamaha item?

2D758751-C095-4CB8-9352-DFF61A2CBA56.jpeg
86411F14-26A9-4292-B6FD-B34479920901.jpeg
0BCF20A0-106C-44A5-8D9B-D982731D0FD6.jpeg

Found some I already took.
Motion Pro cable.
The idea is to get as large a radius curve as possible.... in 3 dimensions. The tighter the circle, the harder the pull.

View attachment 221981

View attachment 221980

I think the Euro bars help a little for the top part of the cable routing. The way they droop down slightly at the ends angles the cable up. You get a nice, gentle arch up over the key switch .....

Cable Routing.jpg

You have to push the cable aside to insert or remove the key but once it's in, there's plenty of clearance for it .....

CableRouting2.jpg

I also route the cable down between the headlight ears, inside the fork tube, on both of mine. It doesn't seem to be an issue. The lever pull on my '83 is much stiffer than on the '78, still trying to figure that out. Both set-ups are virtually the same (same routing, cable, perch & lever), the one difference being the clutch spring spacers. I have the aftermarket ones from Mike's in the '78, homemade drilled stock screws as spacers in the '83. Unfortunately, all those homemade ones didn't drill through straight. On some, the hole on the bottom is off-center. I'm thinking maybe that's binding the clutch spring. I have another set of the aftermarket ones to swap in at the next oil change so we'll see.

I know I'm late to this thread, but is there any way you can swap back to stock springs? The Barnett springs are much heavier, and likely the cause of the heavy pull. I tried them once, and instantly regretted the stiffness. Just a thought.

I know I'm late to this thread, but is there any way you can swap back to stock springs? The Barnett springs are much heavier, and likely the cause of the heavy pull. I tried them once, and instantly regretted the stiffness. Just a thought.
Did you keep the original springs

I've put half n half stiff and regular springs in a clutches before. (put all the regular on one side then clutch when that side is closest to the lever for an easy pull)

I've put half n half stiff and regular springs in a clutches before. (put all the regular on one side then clutch when that side is closest to the lever for an easy pull)
Now that’s interesting. Never thought of 50/50. Not sure I understand what you mean in parentheses. I assume you just alternate springs stiff / reg / stiff…..?

Yes, usually you alternate them. I'm not sure what he was saying at the end there either. A joke maybe?

Yes, the Barnett springs are the stiffest aftermarket ones you can get, something like 43% stiffer I think. I use EBC or Vesrah, only about 15% stiffer. They give a very slightly harder pull but usually cure the slip so I'm OK with it.

Yes, usually you alternate them. I'm not sure what he was saying at the end there either. A joke maybe?

Yes, the Barnett springs are the stiffest aftermarket ones you can get, something like 43% stiffer I think. I use EBC or Vesrah, only about 15% stiffer. They give a very slightly harder pull but usually cure the slip so I'm OK with it.
Maybe it was Wisconsinese?

I think I’ll hunt for a set of EBC’s. I’d alternate the Barnett but I’m not sure of the condition of my stock springs.

Well, considering how stiff the Barnett springs are, it would probably be a good thing if your originals were a bit sacked out and weak.

Maybe it was Wisconsinese?

I think I’ll hunt for a set of EBC’s. I’d alternate the Barnett but I’m not sure of the condition of my stock springs.
yeah weak humor.
I first did the alternate spring thing with Barnetts on a bike in the 70's for the same reason as you. It worked fine. Tried 3 and 3 (EBC think) on madness, but that clutch was past it's due date and not up to 750cc duty, it continued to slip, even when I went to all 6 EBC, finally itgot the 8 plate conversion, that was three years ago? It's been rock solid since, with reasonable, though firmer, lever action.

Back