Has Harley just built the ultimate retro Harley?

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The 2023 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Highway King…….

The Harleys I’ve always found attractive are the ones that embrace the retro look. Up until now that was always the Softail Deluxe for me. But I gotta say I’m really digging the new Electra Glide Highway King, with the classic looking white saddlebags, the quick detach colored windshield and that great big solo saddle that is so reminiscent of the 1968 Electra Glide. ( especially for those of us old enough to see those originals roaming the roads ) I think they hit it out of the park! 😎
IMG_5606.jpegIMG_5605.jpegIMG_5599.jpegIMG_5601.jpegIMG_5602.jpegIMG_5604.jpegIMG_5603.jpeg

I dunno....I've owned "Ruby", my 2002 Road King since about 2003 and have loved every minute of it.

Looks very retro, like my Dad's old Panheads back in the day.

She's never, ever let me down...fits me like a glove and has quite literally become part of the family.

We've done over 77,000 miles together, including several trips out to Sturgis and back from Washington State. Yeah, she's a keeper. 🥰

1683304050228.png

I dunno....I've owned "Ruby", my 2002 Road King since about 2003 and have loved every minute of it.

She's never, ever let me down...fits me like a glove and has quite literally become part of the family.

We've done over 77,000 miles together, including several trips out to Sturgis and back from Washington State. Yeah, she's a keeper. 🥰

View attachment 242176

That’s a beautiful bike! 😍 I took a demo ride on a Road King once and thought it was a great riding bike!

That’s a beautiful bike! 😍 I took a demo ride on a Road King once and thought it was a great riding bike!

Thank you. The only things she needed to fit me like a glove was a Mustang seat and some different handlebars from a Heritage Softail (same as Police Specials) with a taller/further back reach instead of the traditional wheelbarrow style bars.

The 2023 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Highway King…….

The Harleys I’ve always found attractive are the ones that embrace the retro look. Up until now that was always the Softail Deluxe for me. But I gotta say I’m really digging the new Electra Glide Highway King, with the classic looking white saddlebags, the quick detach colored windshield and that great big solo saddle that is so reminiscent of the 1968 Electra Glide. ( especially for those of us old enough to see those originals roaming the roads ) I think they hit it out of the park! 😎
View attachment 242076View attachment 242077View attachment 242078View attachment 242079View attachment 242080View attachment 242081View attachment 242082
I have to agree. Best looking retro H-D has produced yet IMHO.

My friends hereabout like their twincams, I'd rather have a shovel, but the old evo's almost qualify. Here's mine> (note oil leak...!)View attachment 242191
IMHO, although I love my twin cam, I think the Evo was the best engine they ever produced. Simple and durable. The Shovelhead wasn't called the troublehead for nothing. The early twin cams had cam chain tensioner issues that if not caught in time would result in 88 cubes of scrap metal. Leave it to H-D to let their customers sort out the problems on the customers dime.

View attachment 242176
I've got 68K on my '05 RK Classic. Bought it in '16 with 18K on it. Couple of minor issues and some updates (cam chain tensioners, cams) but still very happy with it.

View attachment 242176
Carb or EFI?

I've got 68K on my '05 RK Classic. Bought it in '16 with 18K on it. Couple of minor issues and some updates (cam chain tensioners, cams) but still very happy with it.
Yeah, I've replaced my inner and outer old shoe style tensioners twice now (36,000 mile maintenance item). Bought all the necessary tools to do so, pretty painless.

Yeah, I've replaced my inner and outer old shoe style tensioners twice now (36,000 mile maintenance item). Bought all the necessary tools to do so, pretty painless.
Did you convert to hydraulic tensioners? I put Fueling's in mine. You can get over 60K easily out of the shoes.

Back