Having a Hard Time Deciding on Shocks

MplsMurr

1973 TX650
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As the title states, I am having a hard time deciding on a pair of shocks. I have a 1973 TX650, currently with stock shocks. These seem to have compressed to 12" eyelet-to-eyelet (E2E). I am in the market to improve handling, therefore I will be getting shocks in the 13.5"-14.25" from E2E. Here are a few of my options. I would like your opinions, advice, and any feedback.

I have been emailing with MMM (from XS650central), Dave (Hagon), and Chris (RFY).

Michael from XS650Central has me looking at Progressive 12 series at 14.25" with the rub strip and a 90/130 spring rate. This would be set to go at $289.90. QUESTION: If I were to go with the 12 series, would the 14.25" be perfect OR should I get 13.5" since I plan to add clip-ons (either under the forks or raise them an inch or so through the tree).

Dave from Hagon has me looking at either standard length shock for the TX650 which is 7610-1348, which are 12.80" max with a spring range of 200 lbs OR custom 13.5"-14.25" shocks.

Chris from ChrisLivenGood has me looking at RFY shocks, rebuilt, with the piggyback. These would be 340mm with 8mm springs and a top out spring replacement with no spherical bearing upgrade at $213. QUESTION: Do I buy from him or off ebay and have them sent to him?

Please, let me know if any of you have done the RFY rebuild and how you like it. Also, please let me know what your opinions/experience has been with any of these. I would love to hear what everyone has to say.

Oh, and some details if it helps. I am 190-195 lbs and ride a stripped down TX650, I plan to ride the city streets 70% and highway 30%. I love the twisties and would one day like to possibly race it in vintage races.

I go with Hagon's on my cb750 and I ride in Boston where they don't bother filling in potholes that are smaller than a bathtub. Very durable.

Im running some I found on amazon. They are the nitrogen fill with canister. They sell all different lengths and colors and the plus is they are adjustable for stiff to more smooth. I picked them up for about $90 and I love them. But it all depends on what your budget is and the look you want. I love the look of these and the price is right also Im about 250lbs and my father is about 275lbs and he rides the same type.

here is a link for a idea. I just typed in motorcycle shocks and there are tons of options.
http://www.amazon.com/Wotefusi-Moto...le shocks&qid=1461793182&ref_=sr_1_12&sr=8-12

just my 2 cents

I've been running RFY shocks for a few years now. I may be one of the lucky ones, but I bought them from Ebay and they haven't needed a rebuild yet. I ride them pretty hard on rough dirt roads too.

They did require slightly enlarging the cutout on the chain guard and needed the bottom brass bushings narrowed a few mm to fit.

I'm in the Progressive camp...13.5" works great for improved handling, and it's a solid shock. Hagon's have a solid reputation as well....but I suppose it will depend on what the custom's will cost you.

Note, I think anything over 13.5" and you'll need to address the kick stand length.

Ah the age old length question...often an issue with men.

Forgive me if you already know this but increasing the length of rear shock over standard will have the effect of reducing the castor at the front thus making the steering 'lighter'.
Depending how much you go over OE will determine how much lighter the steering becomes.
Dropping the forks will increase this effect. Go too far and the steering becomes unstable.

You may need to lengthen the sidestand with even less than 13.5" shocks. My Konis are 337mm (about 13 1/4") and I had to mod mine. It's easy. You don't lengthen the arm part, just build the foot up a bit thicker with some plate on the bottom .....

ModdedSideStand.jpg

I re-worked my tang as well so it hits on the muffler/headpipe bracket on the frame .....

SidestandTang2.jpg

SidestandTang3.jpg

My rubber "bumper" is 3/8" fuel line. If/when it wears out, I can simply remove the acorn nut and slip a new piece on.

Back