Head cover and cam position

Mitch81special

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am working on changing out my cam chain guide as I was getting alot of top end noise. It's my first time opening this engine up and I'm hoping someone can answer a couple questions. All iv done so far is remove the head cover. I noticed the mark on the cam for top dead center is slightly off, should I change it on reassembly? Also when fitting the head cover (at TDC) it does not actually seat all the way down, is it supposed to?. It rests on the valves and by loosening the tappet I can lower it so it does sit flat down.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201111_151449.jpg
    20201111_151449.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 20201111_151241.jpg
    20201111_151241.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 131
I noticed the mark on the cam for top dead center is slightly off, should I change it on reassembly?
Look at the chain links. Moving it one link will put it further off in the other direction. That's as close as it will get.
Also when fitting the head cover (at TDC) it does not actually seat all the way down, is it supposed to?. It rests on the valves and by loosening the tappet I can lower it so it does sit flat down.
Yes, back the adjusters all the way in. You can even remove them if you want. Not knowing your mileage, you'll prolly want to replace the chain while you're in there.
Have a read here.

Thanks jim, very informative post. How did that tensioner from Mike's xs work out? Did you end up regretting it?
I've only got about 2K miles on it. So far so good. :cautious: I think it'll be fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about the vertical mark, it's the dot that needs lining up with the horizontal surface that gives a better indication, plus when you check it always push the cam chain tensioner in as it moves a fair bit

Yes, to get an accurate "read", you need the cam chain tensioner applied because it will roll the cam backwards a little.

As Jim mentioned, you need to loosen up all the valve adjusters. No matter what position the engine is in, the valves on one cylinder will have pressure applied to them from the rockers and cam lobes.

As far as cam chain replacement goes, I like to do so if the engine has anywhere near 20K miles on it. I feel it's more important to have a nice tight, unworn (not stretched) chain on a points equipped model because it effects the timing setting.

Back