Head light wont turn on when bike is started

On models that come with a separate headlight switch, does the engine need to be running for the headlight to be on, or is key on good enough?

Key on and headlight switch on, headlight will come on with the bike not running. You have total control over the headlight on and off functions, bike running or not, up through the '77 models. '78 was the change-over year, the first year the headlight safety relay was installed. There was still the on-off switch on the throttle side switch assembly but it only functioned with the key on, bike not running. As soon as you started the bike, that safety relay kicked in and bypassed the on-off switch, turning the headlight on. It didn't matter what position the switch was in, on or off. It was effectively rendered useless once the bike started and the safety relay tripped. Pretty silly set-up in my opinion. Luckily it's easy to correct by just unplugging one wire. This only works on the '78 models .....

vG1TF6W.jpg

But the bike doesn't necessarily need to start. Sustained cranking and spinning the alternator rotor enough to start generating some current is often enough to trip the relay before the engine starts.

So I could potentially put a socket on a drill to spin the rotor and see if it will generate some energy to the headlight making it light a little?

I suppose you could do that, or just kick the bike multiple times, or crank the motor over with the electric start for 15 or 20 seconds straight. And the light just won't light a little. If the relay is tripped, it will come on fully.

Ah. In that case the engine does need to be on. If it's the original headlight you could check it for continuity. Or connect to battery to test. Good to spread the three prongs on the light to hold its socket on better. You can bypass that double relay so the light comes on with the key. If you want to leave it like that, it'll start okay with the headlight on, in my experience, but I added a headlight switch. Did a pictorial on it somewhere here. On my '81 I did that, and removed the RLU, and changed the the RLU dash light to light up if the bike isn't charging (acts like ignition light on a car). Easy instructions for doing that, I think on Pamcopete's site.

Last edited:
Okay, I might do that in the future. I'm trying to decide if I want to sell it since its all stock 100% just missing a few minor parts, and needs an exhaust lol but other than that it runs

Back