Head removal with engine in frame

whynot2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bunch of years ago, 25 or more, I read in a 650 Society Newsletter about some one taking the head off an engine with the engine still in the frame. He started by taking the cam bearings out then the cam. Has anyone tried this? How much can you remove?
Yes it’s true, I’m lazy and tired of swapping engine. It’s the putting them back in that’s the pain. When I thought about it today my left bicep went into spasm and hurt just like it did with the last swap three years ago.
Thanks,
Whynot2
Is down to one.

There's a service letter for race engines where you remove and slot the head studs so they can be removed with the engine in the frame. But you have to have the head off (engine removed) before you can do the mod. So short answer, unless that's been done... no.

Yeah it's a heavy bugger so last time I used my head and hooked a lever block to the rear top mount and it makes it an easy one man job to remove and install, with the starter motor installed as well. Glad I've got that exposed beam in the garage to hang it off.

Attachments

• 20210701_174324.jpg
    20210701_174324.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 183
DSCN0557 (2).png
Right, you have to remove the head cover before the cam can be accessed, and it won't clear the studs with the motor in the frame. But there are many ways to get the motor out and back in without punishing an aging body. My favorite is to remove all motor mounts and insert motor mount bolts in the front and back holes in the motor, loop a handlebar strap from a tie down kit around each bolt, and hoist the motor a bit with a pair of ratchet binders hung from the ceiling; each one needs to support only about 80 lbs. When the motor has been wiggled out, I roll the frame away and roll a flat cart under the motor. If I don't need the flat cart for any other chore I use it as a work surface. Otherwise I wheel the cart to the bench, set up a couple of 2x4s as a ramp, and wiggle the motor up. I wrote this up in the Society News a few years back; if you keep back issues I can probably find the number for you.

Last edited:
Perhaps a bit of a hillbilly solution but if you are only doing a top job
One way perhaps is to tilt it in the frame so the top angles out
Or As I have done it --- made a small table / stool of 2 x 4 s lumber of the height of the frame .
When I have the chest against the upper frame tubes the arms can move the engine out onto the small table
/ Stool I have seen that some have some padding on the frame tubes.
Once out on the stool .. If one don't want to move it further Which indeed is a " King Kong " move trying to walk with it
just move the bike instead.

XSJohn described a way of doing it, but it seemed like as much trouble as the regular way. Involved slipping out some bolts and tilting the engine.
I agree getting it back in is the pain, but if you can get one bolt in anywhere the rest are basically lined up.

Yeah it's a heavy bugger so last time I used my head and hooked a lever block to the rear top mount and it makes it an easy one man job to remove and install, with the starter motor installed as well. Glad I've got that exposed beam in the garage to hang it off.
Hi Oldfart… what did you attach your straps to? Engine mount points? Thx

Hey bosco659 if you check ot the pic in the earlier post and enlarge it you can see i just used a high tensile bolt in the top rear engine mount hole. Had to place spacers on the bolt on the right side of the tappet cover to clear the frame tube and attached the lifting bracket. Happened to have a Hitch Master engine lifting fixture which worked great with a shackle into the come-along hook. You could just use a piece of flat bar with the holes in it to fit the bolt and a shackle. The engine lifted at the optimal angle, really easy. Hope this helps and a pic of the hitch master.
20220113_200947.jpg

Attachments

• 20220113_200921.jpg
    20220113_200921.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 96
What I found a very convenient procedure for engine removal (writing from memory here, so pls forgive if some details aren't fully correct - you'll work it out once you get there):
Remove tank, carbs, left engine cover. Disconnect any wiring etc. so the engine is completely free to be removed.
Remove all engine mounting hardware, except for 2 bottom bolts through the frame (remove nuts and make sure the bolt heads are on the left side).
Put protective blanket on floor.
Drop bike on its right side, so engine rests on blanket.
Pull the two remaining bolts so the engine is free from the frame.
Wiggle engine and frame a bit, so the engine comes out of the frame and rests on the floor.
Raise frame back on wheels and move it aside.

To put engine back in, reverse procedure.

No power lifting required, and your back will be grateful for it.
Until you need to lift the engine onto the workbench, that is.

Thanks Oldfartaussie. That’s a cool piece. Will see if I can find one around here. Would be handy in the garage.
20220114_045746.jpg

I have a few laying around, could probably send you one but honestly all you need is a 40mm or 50mm piece of flat bar, at least 6mm thick, 10mm would be better or stainless steel, 250mm long drill a 10mm hole 30mm from one end and a larger hole in the other end for a shackle.

Oldfart - thanks for reminding me about the Hitchmaster - I remember going to the Paskerville (york penninsular) Field Days and there would be a bloke demonstrating (and selling) the hitchmaster - it was an impressive demo - he used to lift a Holden Six without any effort.
Regards Ray.
p.s. Im going to now see if I can find anything on the internet about them - maybe the instructions.

View attachment 205224
I have a few laying around, could probably send you one but honestly all you need is a 40mm or 50mm piece of flat bar, at least 6mm thick, 10mm would be better or stainless steel, 250mm long drill a 10mm hole 30mm from one end and a larger hole in the other end for a shackle.
Thanks I’ll see if I can find something around here. Would be handy to keep here or at the cottage.

There's a service letter for race engines where you remove and slot the head studs so they can be removed with the engine in the frame. But you have to have the head off (engine removed) before you can do the mod. So short answer, unless that's been done... no.
You don't have anymore information on this mod do you. Definitely sounds interesting

I bought a Hitchmaster set about 30 or 40 years ago, plus a mini set, I didn't find them very good at all, the rope dragging on the bars and the limited lift put me off, so I bought a couple of three wheel boat pullies, a hell of a lot better.

Back