Head removal with engine in frame

Any sheave block will make it a lot easier to lift the engine, I just use the hitchmaster bolted to the top mount as a simple way to connect the lifting gear to the engine. I find it lifts it at the perfect angle bolted to the engine slightly past perpendicular and needs minimal wrestling. Haven't actually used it with a sisal rope to lift a car engine for 40yrs or so but it did the job ok.
I will be using it again in the near future to lift the motor back out and solve the head gasket leak with a new gasket and copper coat spray.

When I did mine I was lucky enough to have an engine hoist but I’ve put the in the frame by setting them on a jack, lifting the engine to the correct height and with a little muscle, sliding it into the frame. Once in the motor can be positioned by placing the jack back underneath with a few blocks. I did that the first few times although last time once the engine was setting in the frame I wrapped a strap around the top-end and lifted it up to where putting the bolts in was effortless. Unfortunately when I’m doing these thing I tend to not take pics.

Back