Headlight keeps recharging below 14.5

xs650custombuildzz

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i got a 1981 xs650 that has a strong headlight. I found out couple weeks ago that when the headlight isnt plugged in, it doesnt use some of the voltage created by the alt. so it "overcharges the battery." voltage measured at the battery is 17,18 volts when headlight isnt plugged in. i plug it back in and its at 13-14.5 volts at the battery. what im getting at is im looking to replace the headlight i have with a 7" LED light bar headlight. im not sure if my battery will overcharge if i replace this strong headlight i have now.

has anyone experienced this issue and do you think i could replace the headlight?
Thanks for reading

First, find some way to double-check the accuracy of your meter reading - if your meter operates off a small battery and it's nearly dead, the meter may not read accurately - ask me how I know! If it is accurate, your voltage regulator may not be doing its job.

First, find some way to double-check the accuracy of your meter reading - if your meter operates off a small battery and it's nearly dead, the meter may not read accurately - ask me how I know! If it is accurate, your voltage regulator may not be doing its job.
its a new regulator and meter.

The electrical system of the bike is designed to have the load of the headlight in the circuit at all times. Your system is a 12vdc system, so 13-14vdc at the battery is what its supposed to be. Why would you want to run without a headlight anyway? Most states require the headlight of a motorcycle to be on at all times while you're riding. But if your battery is overcharging, your voltage regulator is not cycling and its allowing the battery to charge constantly. What kind of charging system and regulator rectifier do you have?

If you want to install a low draw LED light and need to simulate a load, just measure the impedance of your headlight and the new LED light. The difference in impedance (load) can be simulated with a resistor of the proper size added to the circuit.

Why would you want to run without a headlight anyway? Most states require the headlight of a motorcycle to be on at all times while you're riding.
I think what he is doing is looking at what the system does. Good thing since there is a fault. In the end I think he intends to run the light bar at all times like the regular headlight.

I suspect he may have a PMA.

The electrical system of the bike is designed to have the load of the headlight in the circuit at all times. Your system is a 12vdc system, so 13-14vdc at the battery is what its supposed to be. Why would you want to run without a headlight anyway? Most states require the headlight of a motorcycle to be on at all times while you're riding. But if your battery is overcharging, your voltage regulator is not cycling and its allowing the battery to charge constantly. What kind of charging system and regulator rectifier do you have?
with the headlight connected it recharges correctly. im not trying to run it without a headlight i want to change it to an LED lightbar headlight

stock with brushes.
xs650charging-004-jpg.137454

Aftermarket PMA

SC_left_06.jpg

Back