Hearing Aids, eh?

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mrs. Lakeview has been actively campaigning for some years that I attend an audiologist for testing. The foregone conclusion was that I could benefit from hearing aids. So I am on a 5 day demo test of a set called Phonak Marvel M90 (the high end ones are always the one provided for demo). After a couple hours of use, I am really noticing the crackle of paper sheets, the clicking of the door knobs, and other things that I really have not missed. They have bluetooth to connect with my phone so as well as getting calls, I can listen to Spotify right in my ears. After 4 hours, my ears are itchy right where the inserts sit. I am guessing that sensation will pass after some use.

Questions for those with some experience: Batteries or Rechargeable? - I am thinking rechargeable.
Does one ever really make use of all the high end options - like Windblock, Echoblock, Whistleblock? Remote control?
I am tending towards the mid range model.

My wife is on me to get or at least check into getting some hearing aid. After a lifetime of living near airports and 20 yrs of tending to fighter jets she is probably right. Besides, I'm tired of everybody mumbling about this and that and other things around me. Speak up! lol !

Ok..this is right up my alley..I had my 1st hearing aid at 9 yrs of age..back in 1961..back then and for many yrs after..everything was Analog ..Now the new digital aids come along..and they do not work for me because my brain is hard wired for analog sound...
But for someone like yourself who has never used a hearing aid before..Well then I would expect you to have good results... unlike myself....
I tend to favor non rechargeable batteries..it seems the rechargeable types do not last as long consequently you are charging them more often than you would be changing out regular batteries...
I would suggest you start with the normal batteries..later if you feel they aren't enough then try the rechargeables. Oh those "high end options" aren't worth the $ IMO...
A pair of digitals will set you back anywhere from $3000 to $7500..Good luck..and be sure to have an audiological exam if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Mrs. Lakeview has been actively campaigning for some years that I attend an audiologist for testing. The foregone conclusion was that I could benefit from hearing aids. So I am on a 5 day demo test of a set called Phonak Marvel M90 (the high end ones are always the one provided for demo). After a couple hours of use, I am really noticing the crackle of paper sheets, the clicking of the door knobs, and other things that I really have not missed. They have bluetooth to connect with my phone so as well as getting calls, I can listen to Spotify right in my ears. After 4 hours, my ears are itchy right where the inserts sit. I am guessing that sensation will pass after some use.

Questions for those with some experience: Batteries or Rechargeable? - I am thinking rechargeable.
Does one ever really make use of all the high end options - like Windblock, Echoblock, Whistleblock? Remote control?
I am tending towards the mid range model.
My wife is dependent upon them. My father is, too, but he'd rather make those around him suffer. Wear the hearing aids. Rustling paper and the like will move back into the background where your brain has been keeping it all along. Ben is right. Test and adjust to your wife's voice. No to rechargeable. Wearing hearing aids will help you keep what you have.

- - - A pair of digitals will set you back anywhere from $3000 to $7500..Good luck..and be sure to have an audiological exam if you haven't already.
Hi Max,
I've had hearing damage since my apprenticeship (which was back when only sissies wore ear protectors)
But I ain't got that kinda money.
I can still hear and recognise my wife's voice and even if I can't hear the words I do know what to say:-
"Yes dear I will do that right away, what was it you wanted?"
One piece of advise to riders:- Use ear plugs. Ongoing wind noise will damage whatever hearing you still have left.

I am deaf without a hearing aid..so it matters not that i dont need or use "ear protection" My loss is all hereditary..Father ..Grandfather..GGGrandfather...goes back a ways...

1. Plus 1 on the ear plugs! Even with a full face helmet, the wind noise is a killer.
2. I'm still waiting on the VA to see if I can afford some hearing aids.
3. My wife thinks (with some justification, I must admit...) that I LIKE being deaf.
4. If I do get hearing aids, they'll be blootoof compatible and I'll be able to turn them on/off with my smart phone. Just in case a plane flies over ya know...

Hi Max,
I've had hearing damage since my apprenticeship (which was back when only sissies wore ear protectors)
But I ain't got that kinda money.
I can still hear and recognise my wife's voice and even if I can't hear the words I do know what to say:-
"Yes dear I will do that right away, what was it you wanted?"
One piece of advise to riders:- Use ear plugs. Ongoing wind noise will damage whatever hearing you still have left.
Hi fred..guess what..I dont have that kind of money either..and even if i did..Digital hearing aids just dont cut the mustard...EH?

Y'all who met me saw the wire leading up to my ear..That is my analog hearing aid..they dont make these anymore..well not by an American manufacturer..The main body of the aid sits in my shirt pocket and a hole in the back of the pocket allows me to run the wire under my shirt..otherwise it can get in the way...more power than i could use in a behind the ear type of aid..this thing has 135dB of gain..and Bass and trebel adjustments too..I gave up behind the ear types over 10yrs ago as they could no longer meet my needs without a whole lot of beeeeeeppps and "feedback"
This body aid has 0 feedback...

Back in the 1960s my first hearing aid was made by Zenith and it too had over 130dB of gain..with bass and trebel..the earphone was an electromagnetic speaker with an earmold attached to it..This arraingement is still used today..it kicks ass...oh and the battery was a 9 volt "can".
Vintage-Zenith-Royal-Goldtone-Hearing-Aid-For.jpg

Back