Hello al! New here. odd question.

WallaceGreenhouse

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

As the title states this is my first post! So on to the oddball question.

Long story short someone wants to give me a 1975 yamaha but it is buried in a shop and I have yet to actually see the bike. The person giving this thing to me brought me the title and it says it is a "1975 yamaha XS 5".

can anyone tell me if this is an XS 500? When I type "yamaha xs 5" all it pulls up is the 650. The owner is a Harley buff and hates all things
Jap so they have no clue what they have really.

Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated. Also, stay tuned for more stupid questions.

Thanks!
Wally

Welcome!
Could you post the first couple numbers/letters on the VIN? That would help.

And he hates all things Jap, huh? Guess he better get rid of those Showa forks and rear shocks, Italian brakes, German engine parts, Chinese components and many many other non-US made parts.

Hi Wallace and welcome,
I'd say Go for it! You can't lose by doing the Harley-fixated owner a favour by removing the bike from his shop.
You may even get a working motorcycle out of the deal, whatever model it turns out to be.
Surely the bike's paperwork will have it's full ID code, not just XS 5?
BTW, where are you, geographically? Dildo Baggins is a character in the Adult version of Tolkein's classic, not a location.
Not that I want to look down your chimney via Google-Earth but some XS650 details vary depending on where they were initially sold.

Hi Wallace and welcome,
I'd say Go for it! You can't lose by doing the Harley-fixated owner a favour by removing the bike from his shop.
You may even get a working motorcycle out of the deal, whatever model it turns out to be.
Surely the bike's paperwork will have it's full ID code, not just XS 5?
BTW, where are you, geographically? Dildo Baggins is a character in the Adult version of Tolkein's classic, not a location.
Not that I want to look down your chimney via Google-Earth but some XS650 details vary depending on where they were initially sold.

Ha! I am located in northern US. From what the owner says this bike is complete, so I'm hoping it will be easy to get on the road again. Currently I have a ratty looking xl250 I've been riding since last season. I'm excited to get this project and have a bigger bike to comfortably ride at highway speeds!

The title did have a vin and stuff but did not have an odometer readout, and it literally only said xs 5. I think our state has lazy DOT workers because the title on my '79 XL250 says it's an '80. But the sticker on the bike is 1979. This magically happened when I transfered the offroad title to on road. So yeah. Strange but I guess no impossible.

Edit: I don't actually have the title yet, we are waiting till the thing gets unburied in the shop to xfer the title do I told them to hold onto it till then. I'll try to get the vin from the owner.

Last edited:
If you give us the VIN, people here can almost certainly tell you whether it is an XS650 or an XS500.

FYI, the 650 is a MUCH more common machine with very easy availability of parts and know-how. The 650 is a two-valve per cylinder SOHC 360 degree twin with no balance shafts and while it is a bit low-tech, it is easy to work on and tough as nails. I really don't know what the sales ratios were - but I'd venture to say that Yamaha sold 5-10 XS650s for every 500 or 750 they sold so you may actually have a 650 there instead of a 500.

As I recall it, the 500 and the similar 750 model, were more advanced technology 180 degree DOHC twins with 4 valves per cylinder and counterbalancing shafts - but they also had significant durability issues and didn't sell very well at all. I think a guy in my mid-70's engineering class had either an XS500 or the similar XS750, while I had a '75 XS650B - and I could blow his doors off in a drag, plus his bike was usually malfunctioning (which I am sure didn't help him at all).

Anyhow, this price IS right on this old girl and you may just have a pretty snazz ride there! Certainly the 1975 Yamaha B-model black and gold colour scheme is one of the most attractive of all of them (IMHO).

Cheers,

Pete

PS - I think it was Bilbo (with a "B") Baggins. With a "D" instead of a "B", the word means something....errrr, ummmm, quite different. :sneaky:

lol considering DMV employees it could be registered as an XS 5, how do I know this? My 77' showed up as an SS650, and as I'm pretty damn sure that the third Reich had fallen far before my bike was produced, another trip to the "friendly folks" at the Illinois DMV to clear that one up.
Ever heard of an XS454, yeah neither had I, but let me tell ya I almost picked one up last year in a Wisconsin auction with that exact model name on the reg/title I knew it was an xs400 in reality but wasn't in the mood to straighten that shit out considering the rough state the PO had left it in. The world is an interesting place.

Wally,
Accept the bike, with eternal gratitude to the giver! Especially since he has the title! If it is indeed a seldom-encountered model, you may consider doing a proper and correct restoration. Unless it's totally roached. Then, chop the $#!t out of it and ride it until either you or it drops! Just remember though, a cheap motorcycle can be really expensive! Good luck! P.S. send us pictures!

Back