Helmet for the xs650

RPC3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So now that my bike is running more often than not, I finally feel decent about spending some cash on a better helmet. I've had a white HJC for the past 3 years and while it works fine, its the 3/4 style with a face shield and I've come to the conclusion that I'd prefer to be in a full face. Its a bit tricky in that a helmet is obviously important, but cost is a realistic factor, too. I can't say I care much for most of the modern looking helmets, and I think people who primarily ride classic bikes would agree that the look doesn't seem right - though they can be found neutral enough I suppose.

The three I'm currently leaning on:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/biltwell-gringo-s-helmet

Biltwell Gringo S - $200, looks great, reviews are pretty solid. Unfortunately only DOT and not snell, but I'm upgrade from my 3/4 now. The new gringo has a hinged shield, which is something that deterred me from the old one.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-bullitt-helmet

Bell Bullit - similar to the Gringo S, but a few more features (air vents) and $400 price tag. Reviews are not as good, and I think a lot of that has to do with the expectations that come with a $400 helmet.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/simpson-street-bandit-helmet

Simpson Street Bandit - Definitely unique; at $300 you get a good mix of features and snell rating. There isn't much as far as on line reviews on this, but I had an old co worker who had been into cycles for 40 years and he swore by them as a brand, even before they built motorcycle specific helmets.

I'm looking at just a white helmet; I'm not sure any of my local retailers have these so I'd probably be doing an on-line purchase based off feedback. I'm leaning towards the gringo S based on price, but wanted to see if anyone else had some feedback or other suggestions. The XS is my only bike, typical ride s 30-60 minutes, highway driving is on an if any basis.

Thanks

I'll be following this thread. My HJC has reached its age limit. I too have looked into these helmets and have the same exact thoughts. Although they look cool, there are a couple "must haves". Air vents for comfort, reduced wind noise, and a Snell rating are what I want.

I'll sacrifice the cool factor for safety.

My full face helmet is like your 1st listed. Works fine, but irritation factors come to mind while riding, that may not be in the reviews. Which is why that 3rd listing looks interesting.

- Wind noise, varying with head position
- Good locations for adjustable vents
- Fogging of lens, especially if you sneeze or cough
- Wind force when you turn your head

Couple of friends of mine have the dual flip-up helmets, lens only or chinguard w/lens. Have room for intercom stuff and they swear by them.

Whatever you choose, get at least one spare lens. These things seem to come and go and replacement parts disappear...

parts disappear... yes. I had a helmet for ten years, and the lens finally got too bad. even more than a plastic polish could handle. I looked and looked, but since the maker upgraded the style, I couldn't find any new mirrored ones for the old style. I just know there are crates and crates of old lenses out there somewhere.
I bought a ikon alliance. was like 150 or so. Gave my brother in law my old lid because the 4x4 club he joined required helmets. He didn't need a lens, so perfect for him.
The ikon is nice. got a couple vents, sneeze guard, full face, rubber texture. The one thing that bothers me about it is the white liner. Every time I ride, I wash my hair, face so it doesn't get gross. Their tinted lenses are a really nice tint. No optical waves in it. Its like its dawn all the time. I have the clear lens that came with it, plus the tint that is on it now.
It doesn't fit the 'look' for the 650, but I have other bikes too, its quiet helmet. not a lot of buffeting ,either.
I seem to have a slightly longer neck than most, so I like a full face to keep wind from ram-airing right down my jacket.
Just some things to consider + my 2 cents.

The only help i can give is that I have bought several things from revzilla and was happy with there products and fast service. I like the look of the first two helmets they are a bit more old school looking and that would fit the look of an old xs, but I guess it should be safety over looks.

So now that my bike is running more often than not, I finally feel decent about spending some cash on a better helmet.- - -

Hi RPC3,
get a flip-face, they are good for showing who you are when you are buying stuff without having to take the thing off to hold it and then carry your McGreasyburger and put your billfold away one-handed.
And if you wear glasses a flip-face is the only style of full coverage helmet that can be put on while wearing them.

I really like my regular gringo, I have other helmets, but I always go back to it season after season. I thought about getting the S, but as often as I need or want a shield I'll just snap 1 of 3 bubble shields on.
If you are thinking of going with a Simpson checkout the M30, I believe it's a bit different than the Bandit, although I could be wrong. Also from what I heard Simpson is going to be releasing the m50 which is more of a motocross style, kind of like an old Bell Moto 3.

Reviving an old thread here. I've been in the market for a new helmet lately also. I'm curios if anyone has tried a DMD Racer or Premier Trophy helmets?

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/dmd-racer-helmet-review

http://silodrome.com/premier-trophy-helmet/

**the biggest downside of these two are lack of vents though. I guess it depends on your riding style. I myself do not take long trips, so it would be ok for around town cruising and short trips. I think they both would look good with a vintage bike but curious if anyone has actually worn either of these.

I agree with flip up. I have a scorpion exo flip up with a senna smh10 intercom for touring....built in sunbglasses. Rarely wear my gringo even on the xs.

Posted via Mobile

as far as venting goes, Ive had a few lids with vents, and open or not, didn't seem any different. You can always lift the lens a hair for air.

as far as venting goes, Ive had a few lids with vents, and open or not, didn't seem any different. You can always lift the lens a hair for air.

I don't know.... I have a Shoei RF1100, and Shoei Multitec (flip up), and both have great venting and function well in my opinion. (not cheap lids though).

I usually don't wear them on the XS unless it's a little cooler and/or later at night when I want a visor. And on hotter days for cruising around the city, I wear an LS2 bobber style open face w/sunglasses. (plenty of venting there). :)

Grabbed a new HJC FG17 full face this spring, Guy bought the helmet, then never bought a bike, his loss etc.... Read some interesting helmet reviews and tests and changed my specs. In general flip fronts are not much use in a crash. too flimsy to withstand an impact. We tend to buy helmets too big. You should not be able to peal it off by shoving it forward around your head. Try this, you'll be surprised. HJC tend to run small. Sure would like one of the internal flip down shades. +1 the visors disappear from the market. By design??? the flipknob/latch on the HJC visor broke already, fumbling with a glove on DUH!
I have a slightly larger helmet I wear with a thin balaclava for colder weather.

The FG was too small but "broke in" to a perfect fit, reading reviews forewarned me it would be this way. Most of my rides are 2 hours or less. Longer rides tend to be on bikes with windshields. I don't wear ear plugs as much as I should.

- - - In general flip fronts are not much use in a crash. too flimsy to withstand an impact. - - -

Hi Gary,
while a flip-front's facepiece ain't as sturdy as a fullface it's way better than a 3/4 or a 1/2 helmet and even a modern 1/2 helmet is far safer than the pathetic Corker I wore back in the day.
I've willingly switched to a flipfront from the fullface I had before because for me the flipface's added convenience outweighs it's somewhat lessened protection.
But then, I ride like a timid old man on a sidecar rig.
Just a minute though, I AM a timid old man on a sidecar rig.
Wearing earplugs.
Looking back on it, perhaps giving my bike's mufflers the pointy bar treatment wasn't a good idea after all.

WHAT????
About 3/4 helms. I don't like the idea of 1/4 of my face ground off, leaving just enuf head to keep me alive. I have a living will that if im in a coma, with no return for more than a week, unplug me.

- - - About 3/4 helms. I don't like the idea of 1/4 of my face ground off, leaving just enuf head to keep me alive. - - -

Hi angus,
there's the alternative of keeping your chiselled features intact and living as a quadraplegic because that overweight Snell bucket snapped your neck, eh?
It's all in the perceived risk, not the real one. For instance, the thought of riding helmetless don't bother me at all and only the certainty of getting a ticket keeps the lid on my head, but riding without gloves? I just can't do it.
I suppose that a truly risk averse person wouldn't ride a bike at all, but drive a car with 19 airbags, a 5-point harness, an automatic fire suppression system and a collision warning device?

Never buy a helmet before trying it on. I have a Nolan N84 M and i tried different makes and models from small to large and some smalls were to big and some large ones were to small...................go figure?

The pain was trying to find a helmet to suit the bike, was looking for a full face, straight black style, and something that didn't look like i was a Star Wars extra. Wasn't even sure i really liked the helmet i got but by the time i found one that fitted and was 99% black i had had enough of legging it around.

Has a separate sun visor on it and its great.

Back