Helmet for the xs650

I have a gringo s and Im pretty satisfied, revzilla does a pretty good job for an online store. I bought the medium and the large and then ship the medium back because it was too small. My head size was right in between the two sizes. If you ride in warmer weather I would get the regular gringo, and get some riding goggles, more airflow since the gringo s doesnt have airvents. The snap shield can sometimes be a bit tricky to snap in place once you hit the highway with bulky gloves.

Some other advice for returning to Revzilla would be to use their return procedure rather than doing it yourself with UPS/Fedex/DHL it was waaaayyyyy cheaper to use their 7 dollar return than pay UPS 24 bucks to ship it back

Might want to consider what is mentioned here.
Don't get me wrong it's your head/life but gather the facts before the decision. A common theme is riders changing their gear, after seeing what happened to "someone else"

For anyone interested I got my Simpson M50 the other day, the definitely fit on the big side. I'm usually a large and this was pretty big on me. Also it really isn't a full face, it's more like a 3/4 with a chin guard for abrasion protection. I sent it back mostly because of the size, but I also think I'll be requesting my money back, it just seemed too overpriced and underprotected for what I paid. I still like my gringo, but I wouldn't mind something that is even more of a legit full face so I might look at a Simpson Bandit which is Snell rated or even the M30.

on hotter days for cruising around the city, I wear an LS2 bobber style open face w/sunglasses. (plenty of venting there). :)

I second the LS2 flip-up open face helmet .

Its extremely light at just 780gms compared with 1250gms for a TTH and other similar helmets.
It came with a dark flip-up visor which is too dark for low light conditions so I purchased an additional plain visor.

Its a very compact ,lightweight , inexpensive helmet :thumbsup:
The LS2 is on the left compared with a THH on the right

Attachments

• helmet height comparison.JPG
    helmet height comparison.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 224
a head on collision at 30mph and no helmet is going to save your bonce.
They are only really effective if you fall off the bike when its on the stand.

I have never worn a helmet on my bicycles either and I used to regularly cycle at over 45mph down hill and 25+mph on the flat.

its a personal choice thing like everything else in life .:wink2:

Last edited:
34.6% of an impact area is the Jaw line.
Kinda says it all really

Hi Skull,
except that from my own experience, it ain't true.
I must have ridden over 50 different solo bikes over the years.
Fell off every last one of them.
Always wore a helmet, always landed on my arse.
Mind you, perhaps it's my classic pear-shaped body that does it, I land fat end first like a spacecraft re-entry module?
I ain't even come close to falling off since I switched to sidecars and only wear a helmet because they give you tickets if you don't.
I reckon a flipface is the best option for the way I ride.
[edit] check out my famous namesake who died in jail for riding without a helmet (to be precise, for not paying the fines for doing so):-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hill_(Civil_Rights_Activist)
[endedit]

Well, when i see that graph on the %'s where the impacts are on the head on Motorbike accidents, its a no brain er for me.

personal choice, love that argument for when someone makes a statement about safety.

Personal choice to drink and ride, not socially acceptable and the publican can take your keys off you, or your friends will, if they can, not to mention it is illegal..............But why?........... Its my personal choice............ If i cause a crash and kill someone and end up with brain damage, can't work and loose the house and the wife and kids because they can't stand to wipe the dribble off my chin any more...........But it is ok, because it was my personal choice.

Does the same rationality apply to the choice of the 3/4 face helmet against buying a full face. Is your personal choice going to have ramifications that impact on the ones you care the most about.

Its not illegal to wear thongs on a bike either, but when i think of the pain and damage to my toe when i stub it when walking on the concrete i can't even imagine not wearing a decent shoe or boot.

That's my personal choice, and thoughts on other peoples personal choice..........go for it but don't come crying to me when it all turns pear shape. Sorry Fed no pun intended:D

so your choice would be to force everybody to adopt your personal choice :laugh:

If people like you had their way it would be a dictatorial nanny state where no one had any free choice to do anything.

Its not sensible to throw your self out of an aircraft tied to a couple of pounds of silk.
its not sensible to whitewater raft down some rapids
Its not sensible to throw yourself off a cliff on a length of elastic
Its not sensible to strap yourself to a drag racer

The sensible thing would be to ban all outdated classic and vintage vehicles that don't meet todays modern safety standards but then we'd lose our classic bikes and cars:shrug:

Its not sensible to do a lot of things but we all do ridiculous things and long may we have the choice to do it.:thumbsup:

so your choice would be to force everybody to adopt your personal choice :laugh:

If people like you had their way it would be a dictatorial nanny state where no one had any free choice to do anything.

I didn't say you don't have a personal choice. Just don't cry when your choice affects others and your self, when better judgement could have prevented some, if not all of it.

If you want a 3/4 helmet, buy the 3/4 helmet. If your head hits the ground there is over a 34% chance the nose to chin will sustain the impact. .................If making that statement means to you, i want force everyone to do as i say, then by all means shift the focus to me being a dictator who wants a nanny state......................Now do as your told so you don't hurt yourself

I've discussed the helmet issue with fellow cyclists for over 30 years .
There are simularities between the motorbike and cycling helmet issue although here in the UK its not compulsory to wear a helmet unless you are competing in an organised event (Healtf and safety /insurance requirements )

I think most people assess the risks of whatever they are doing and protect themselves accordingly.

As a single person there is only the responsibility to oneself perhaps but as a Family man one would have to consider ones dependants and responsibilities to support others etc .

In the UK just riding any 2x wheeled transport is a very high risk option whether for leisure or work .
I would argue that it would be better to spend more time and money making the roads safer and educating and training all drivers to a higher standard than ' locking the stable door after the horse has bolted' so to speak by forcing vulnerable road users to wear helmets.!:wink2:

In the UK over 19,000 cyclist came off or were knocked off their bikes and injured in 2014 There were 109 deaths ! Thats a dreadful waste of life

Period correct helmet are the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. Sure you'll look great with your 3/4 helmet and your perm to go with your 75 XS650 but a wise man once told me to dress for the crash and not for the ride.

I myself bought a Bell Vortex which is both DOT and SNELL approved, for the price you'll really have to dig to find something comparable.

It just depends on how you like your dome HAHA
I hit a car in 1983 at 50 mph straight into the side at the door . Car crumbled and bike went into car breaking off the steering wheel and seat pushing the lady into the passenger seat. Had a 3/4 helmet on and most of it saved my DOME but my far head hit the roof of the car before I was thrown over the car and landed in traffic. Because of two impacts I had head and spin injuries and had no feeling waist down for 3 days. I had my last rights given to me at hospital because of the head injuries ... 17 day later I walked out and took 6 months before I was able to walk correctly .
The point I am making is ANY high speed accident is not saving the 75% of your body that the helmet does not cover.
WE RIDE because we love it and you know the odds as soon as you swing your leg over the seat. So to me HELMET or NO HELMET the ass that runs into you with that 3500lb car doesn't stand over your body and say WOW THAT'S a NICE HELMET!!!:wtf:

Back