*HELP* 1977 xs650d with K&S Controls

jtm0n3y

New to old school
Reaction score
Happy Independence Day!!!

I'm in need of some wiring help that will hopefully be easy for someone on here. Let me preface all of this by saying that I value everyone's time and knowledge - if you are able to help me successfully get my controls working I will gladly venmo or paypal you some extra cash as a thank-you!

I have a 1977 xs650 early vin. I'm trying to wire new K&S vintage-style controls and all I'm able to successfuly get working is the light on/off switch and the hi/low beam switch. Nothing else works...horn is a no go, start button is a no go, off/run/off is a no go. My handlebars are powder coated and I did grind away some powder for the right side controls to make contact with the bars and I confirmed this is a viable grounding point with a continuity tester as well as a test light.

My wiring harness and ignition system is completely stock with the exception of the headlight safety relay being removed with the required jumper in place and the rear brake drum liner sensor wire being disconnected as well as the diode for the light being disconnected as well. I do not have the drum sensor nor do I have the warning light on my dash.

Here is what really confuses me...I have no power out to my brown wire whenever my key switch is in the first position if I have all the controls wired up as I think they should be (which is obviously wrong hahaha). I initially started thinking that I must have a bad key switch because my 20a fuse wasn't blown and I had power out of the blue wires with the key in the second position and/or the light switch flipped to ON on the right side control. I later found that to not be the case because as I started unplugging everything that wasn't working (horn, start button, turn signals, off/on/off kill switch) I noticed that power out the brown wire from the key switch magically came back when the key was switched to the first/middle position. *WTF* haha

I'm trying to follow the wiring diagram on this site specifically for the 1977 xs650d. I will attach pics of how I had things wired and hopefully someone can spot my error(s). Pictures are in the post below. The first pic shows the color coming from the left control and the color I have it hooked to on the main harness. The second is the right control and those colors match up with the colors on the stock wiring harness. Third pic shows the headlight sensor relay deleted. Fourth-sixth pics just show the controls themselves and my dash/pilow tree. THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image6.jpeg

Anytime I get weird electric on off functions randomly changing my first goto is grounds, make a solid jumper back to motor/ battery negative up to headlight bucket, both handlebar control grounds see if anything changes.

Anytime I get weird electric on off functions randomly changing my first goto is grounds, make a solid jumper back to motor/ battery negative up to headlight bucket, both handlebar control grounds see if anything changes.

Just got done trying this. Unfortunately the issue remains :(

Got everything working. The wire coming from the main harness for the horn and the wire for the left turn signal are literally the same color - those being reversed was the issue entirely. I stepped away from it all for a day and came back to it to start fresh.

Back