Help, can't shift gears while running.

07mlurth

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hey guys. I need some help. I have a 1980 XS650 and I have been doing a lot of work on it over the winter. I replaced the clutch bearing, friction plates, clutch plates, clutch springs, and stews to the allen key type. basically the whole clutch set-up. When I was all done and slapped it back together, and set the clutch.
When the engine is off I can shift up and down the gears like butter. When the engine is on however, it clunks down to first gear and already wants to take off slowly. It won't shift to neutral or any other gear at this point. I turn it off again and it shift up and down with no problems.
I can't figure out why this is happening, and it is very frustrating.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know.
Thank you very much!

Sounds to me that your clutch is not disengaging enough.

Check the clutch cable route, no big kinks in it?

Adjust the worm gear. Undo the bolt, turn the screw out, and then back in slowly until you feel it "hit" the rod inside, back off 1/8 turn, then go from there.

Put the bike up on it's center stand, pull the clutch, and kick her over with the kickstart. If it feels like the kicker is slipping, you know your clutch is disengaging. This also helps in freeing up sticky plates. Let go of the lever, and kick over again. It should turn the motor.

I hope this helps!

That is exactly what i was thinking too, it is definitely not disengaging.
the cable route is good and it pulls smooth and easy.
I have the worm gear adjusted properly and i tried the kickstart routine you suggested. With the clutch in and kicking it, it does freely kick down. Then I kickstarted it and it was doing the same thing sadly.
I shift down to first and it takes off on me, even though I hold it back with the break it won't let me shift up to neutral again until the engine is turned off.

Last edited:
Did you index the clutch when you assembled it?

Attachments

• ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 295
I didn't notice any burs or sharp edges on the inner hub, and the plates did slide on nice and smooth without catching or any noticeable drag. I may have to take a video of it and post the movement of the plates. But to me at this point it looks like it is releasing as it should. I am so stumped

Back