HELP wiring a boyer coil

aaroffee

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey I'm switching from a morris magneto to a boyer bransden kit, kit comes with everything.

now my bike has a key but only for the lights on the back of the key it has 3 terminals one has constant power other is first click which powers all the lights besides headlight 2 click is headlight and all lights, so i think i have to make a loom up for the coil??

wiring is not my strong point, i have this http://www.boyerbransden.com/pdf/KIT00303.pdf
any help would be great!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi,

Yep, you've got the correct instructions from Boyer -I assume its the Blue Box (Micro Power)?
If so, in the top right of that wiring diagram you have, it shows two +12v connections requiring power - the Boyer unit and the coil. Both of those, I would suggest you connect to the 3rd terminal of your ignition switch - i.e. Position 1 - Off, Position 2 - Aux and lights, Position 3 - Ignition on (power to the Boyer and Coils)
I've fitted many of the Boyer Product and I've had no problems. Follow the wiring diagram and you will be fine. If you are testing for a spark, make sure you ground out the plugs before you try. Also, Boyers are quite sensitive to voltage, so start with a good, charged battery PM me if you need a hand.

should my advance side look the same as my alt side where i slip the shaft through i bought the bike with a magneto so I'm unsure, atm the advance side still had a threaded hollow part on it with a tiny metal locker on it?? get rid of that?

So, the rod should go through the cam shaft and be secured by a nut on the right hand side of the engine (right hand as if you were sitting on the bike). If there is a pin through the end of the cam on the right hand side - you can remove that - it was for the original advance mechanism.

The left hand side of the rod should carry the rotor with the magnets attached, the pickup plate then bolts over this.

Back