Help with charging system and carbs

keeger1957

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you may have seen my thread about my bike being stolen but recovered today. They dropped/ laid it on its right side. Im having some electrical and fuel system problems.

1. Battery tested at 13.6+ volts not running. I think they tried to jump it with a car.
2. When i turn the ignition on no lights come on at all headlight or bezel ect.
3. The bike cannot be kickstarted .
4. They did tamper with the ignition (screwdriver) and hand controls but did not cut any wires completely. Key still works.
5. They disconnected the plug i pictured near the rear end on the right side we plugged it back in but no changes.
Where are the fuses on a 77?

Fuel system
1. My petcock is leaking from the switch not from around the gasket. I guess it hit the ground when dropped and got pushed in.
2. The right side carburetor leaks in 2 spots. I really hope this is because of the petcock.

I plan on ordering a new petcock soon.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20200912_131608.jpg
    20200912_131608.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200912_190721.jpg
    20200912_190721.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200912_190728.jpg
    20200912_190728.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2921.jpg
    IMG_2921.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2920.jpg
    IMG_2920.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 76
Your '77 has only one fuse, a main 20 amp located under the right side cover above the starter safety relay and behind the solenoid. Original would be a glass fuse in a plastic holder with space to carry a spare fuse, but your fuse holder may have been changed .....

mGg3RE9.jpg

9PRlOPt.jpg

My guess is the cut wires leading into your handlebar switch shorted out and blew your main fuse.

Your carb leak appears to be from the overflow tube nipple. That would indicate the bowl is over-filling with fuel. All the banging around may have dislodged some gunk in the tank or petcock and it has lodged in your float needle seat, not allowing fuel flow to be shut off by the float needle.

Only 1 Fuse? That's crazy. I will look for it/post pictures and see if yall can see it if I can't find it. Being a glass fuse should i just splice in a new blade style fuse in its place? The more and more I get into this bike I find more odd things a previous owner had done.
With the carbs if your correct i would think getting it running and maybe some gas treatment would clear that up? I know 0 about carbs other than the air and fuels go there lol. There is no taking carbs off this motor for me. Im comfortable doing most stuff but I'm not with working on the carbs.

Keep the info coming! I'll keep this updated

In-line rubber covered blade type fuse holders are available from the auto parts store. Add bullet connectors to the ends of the wires and it can be plugged in in place of the original. Here's one I rigged up for my Pamco ignition .....

zwhh00J.jpg

V6UWfcd.jpg

Mpllvfa.jpg

Eventually, you're going to have to learn a bit about carbs or this bike will just quit running for you, lol. In this case, there's no need to pull the carbs off. Using a stubby screwdriver, you can just remove the float bowl from the leaking carb. Then turn the gas on and jiggle the float up and down as the fuel gushes out. That should flush any dirt out of the float needle seat.

Thanks! The main fuse was the culprit. As for the carbs....

Attachments

• 20200913_214510.jpg
    20200913_214510.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 73
As for the carbs: don't take this the wrong way, but if you're really averse to dealing with them, then old bikes aren't for you. The carbs on these machines are simpler than you might think. Click the Tech button and do some reading, you may find the work a lot simpler than it looks at first glance.

Your D-model with the 78 Special tank and black frame covers with silver tape looks very familiar. I rescued and refurbed that bike and sold it to a Carbondale bar owner around 10 years ago. The Special tank is there because the D-model tank had been too badly pranged by a fall in the PO's garage for me to deal with it (PO was also the first owner). The bike came to me with a godawful double-bucket seat and lowered shocks. I gave it the seat that's on it now and a pair of 13.25" Progressive Series 12 gas shocks. Fork seals were weeping, so forks got a cleaning, fresh Spectro fork oil, and new seals. The front brake was frozen up, so that got a MC cleaning, caliper rebuild, braided stainless line, and Ferodo pads. The alternator rotor went from book 5 ohms to a dead short in less than 50 miles, so the bike got a replacement out of my salvage stash. The regulator also needed attention: points cleaned, air gaps adjusted, output screw reset. Ignition was also serviced: cleaned up the points, lubed the rod, and recurved the advance to spec. Air filters were entirely degraded, so I stripped them to the core and wrapped them with fresh foam. And, of course, the carbies were stripped and cleaned. I shot the tank with Dupont Ful-Cryl single stage Chrysler black. The side covers got rattle can Krylon.

Anyway, that's how the old girl left me. Sounds like she fell on hard times again.

Thats so cool!!!! I grew up in Carterville and am sure I know the bar lol. The oil I took out of this bike was black sludge tons of metal and plastic in the filter. I think it sat for quite some time based on the oil. The tires and battery where brand new. Im assuming this was just to get the bike in sellable condition. It was neglected and its very apparent when looking closely. Some rust in the tank there was a drywall screw has a hinge pin for the seat...
Also I got the manual with this bike and if you did the tank swap I'm pretty sure I have a list hand written from you. Small world.

While it's running and dripping gas, you might try tapping the side of the float bowl with the plastic handle of a big screwdriver. If you're lucky that just might dislodge the junk in the float needle seat and remedy the leak.

I probably sold that bike too cheap, keeger. If I'd asked for serious money it might have induced a new owner to take better care of it. I also gave it a new pair of Shinko 712 tires and an O-ring chain. I'm sending you a PM with my contact information. Feel free to call.

Back