Hey - New member, first thread; also a question about crankcase cover being cut

Dobernado

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey, new guy from Kansas here. Just picked up a '80 XS650 for a café racer or street tracker project. This is my first Yamaha bike and learning a bunch of stuff about it just by lurking on this site the past couple of weeks. One question that I have that I can't seem to find an answer for is why my left side crankcase cover has been intentionally cut. I included a photo to show what I mean by this. Is this something a flat track racer did or some other reason? At least they did a decent job cutting it. :laugh:

cover.jpg

Hi new guy from Kansas. Welcome to the nuthouse.

Hard to know what's in someone's mind.... we can only guess. My guess would be the PO slung a chain and bent the shift shaft.... taking the left cover with it. The good news is covers are readily available at places like Ebay.

Might be a good idea to closely inspect the entire sprocket area for more damage. Slung chains can wreak havoc in there.

Hi new guy from Kansas. Welcome to the nuthouse.

Hard to know what's in someone's mind.... we can only guess. My guess would be the PO slung a chain and bent the shift shaft.... taking the left cover with it. The good news is covers are readily available at places like Ebay.

Might be a good idea to closely inspect the entire sprocket area for more damage. Slung chains can wreak havoc in there.
:agree:
One place you want to be looking.
crackcase 001.JPG

The cover supports the shift shaft close to where the force from the lever is trying to bend the shaft.

Oh hell, I didn't even think about a slung off chain. Makes sense for sure! However, there doesn't appear to have any damage around the sprocket or shift shaft. It shall remain a mystery I suppose. Anyways, I've included a photo of the present condition of the XS. I just started it yesterday with some rebuilt 38's that came with the bike. These won't be in on the bike in the future as some VM32 carbs is more to my liking. Also, I think I might be undoing the fork lowering as I'm planning on getting a 18" wheel for the back with some taller shocks. Not sure as what the stance will look like so that is all up in the air. Its gonna either be a street tracker or Café bike. Mostly for work commutes. 👍

20220626_190107[520].jpg

Welcome Dobernado!
Looks like your bike is a great start towards either a tracker or cafe.
Seems like you may have a bit of experience with bikes and the site is filled with an amazing amount of knowledge. The tech section is top shelf and worth spending some time reading. Some members hear know more about these bikes than the men that made them.
Dobernado???
Like a Sharknado with Dobermen?
😎

Errant chains sure can do a bit if damage, this was the damage caused on my 74 when I bought it. I noticed the piece ripped off the top of the crankcase, but when I got it home and had a look I saw the damage was a bit more extensive.

Attachments

• damaged crankcase.jpg
    damaged crankcase.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 104
  • damaged shifter drum mount.jpg
    damaged shifter drum mount.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 99
Hey, new guy from Kansas here. Just picked up a '80 XS650 for a café racer or street tracker project. This is my first Yamaha bike and learning a bunch of stuff about it just by lurking on this site the past couple of weeks. One question that I have that I can't seem to find an answer for is why my left side crankcase cover has been intentionally cut. I included a photo to show what I mean by this. Is this something a flat track racer did or some other reason? At least they did a decent job cutting it. :laugh:

View attachment 217969

You'll find all sorts of weird things done to old bikes by no-nothing, would be "mechanics", lol. Just wait, I'll bet you're in for more "treats" as you delve further into your machine.

oh yeah, its always like that. In my line of work, I routinely have to go behind others for repairing/replacing stuff that isn't done right. And I'm sure this bike is no different. :rolleyes:

Back