HHB Mosfet Rectifier testing

Alllooksnnogo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. looking for some information. I am exhausted trying to find the answer to my question. I have contacted Hugh but no response yet.

I had a stator PMA issue and had received a new one, placed it in and have experienced 3 blissful week with my ride. Yesterday I had trouble starting my bike. I notice that the 3 phase connector from my stator was melted together so I have to troubleshoot my charging system again. Frustrating!

I am testing my mosfet rectifier starting with the diode test

my reverse-biased readings are good but my forward-biased readings are different but similar. One side reads .550 - .560 and the other side reads .130 - .140. The one in question for me is the last one. (.130 - .140) is that good or bad? Also when I am on my 200k ohm setting on my meter I can see 33k between the leads, should this not be infinite?

Thanks in advance guys

I'm stuck!

Matt

I made this video using the stock Reg/rec, but it applies to all rectifiers that are 3 phase full wave (like yours). Perhaps your meter has a "diode" setting?

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. I actually took a look at your video last night, very informative. I was reading that within my mosfet there is a little more circuitry in the way on one side promoting less loss, voltage, through the line. I just wish I had a baseline for this unit. Hoping Hugh gets back to me with this info. The resistance reading is equal between the phases as well. Just unsure of the values I should be getting.

I was also reading up on why my 3 phase connector from the stator may have melted...potential arcing would be my guess. Any advise?

Sorry, I don't. I have zero experience with the PMA setups.

I don't pretend to help resolve your issue. The std. check for PMA stator is VAC between output legs (connected @ idle). With melted wires, the FIRST check though is to unplug connector and check for continuity to ground from each yellow (maybe white) wires. There should be none.

IME, Hugh will not return messages weekends and Mondays. Used to be he responded to emails on Thursdays only. If you're a customer maybe sooner.

I have a older HHB PMA with a standard reg/rec. I emailed Hugh on Wed Aug 17 and he answered the same day and said the reg pictured was compatible with his PMA when using a Lithium ion battery. Racetechelectric also contacted him on the same day to confirm that the MOSFET reg/rec pictured would work with his system. I ordered it from Canada on Fri the 19th and it arrived this morning. Great service and communication from both companies. If it works as good as it looks I`ll be a happy camper.:thumbsup:
DSCN0173-001.JPG

Back