HHB PMA: Where did you mount your regulator?

79Standard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello, just getting my ducks in row before I start on my PMA installation. Not sure exactly where to mount my new regulator, was thinking either on the plastic mudguard part of the rear fender, or maybe making a bracket and having it under the battery box where the old rectifier was. Does anyone see an issue with either of these locations, or have a suggestion for somewhere better?

Mounted mine on the backside of the frame, ahead of and under the swing arm.

58F6166A-EAB6-4A8A-939C-A29D40112C54_zpsjr1qy9uf.jpg

no problems, gets plenty of airflow and keeps wiring tidy.

I mounted mine under battery box to take advantage of the rubber mount. Opened up the hole to 3/8th and drilled hole in a piece of steel strap, then had to do a couple tubing stand offs to protect the back od the item from the end of the bolt.
Those long bolts coming from the side, courtesy of the p o, were trimmed as well.

Attachments

• SAM_4641.JPG
    SAM_4641.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 155
  • SAM_4642.JPG
    SAM_4642.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 160
  • SAM_4646.JPG
    SAM_4646.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 146
Thanks for the replies. Lakeview, that's pretty much what I had in mind, kind of the only place that really make sense on my bike. Assuming that the stock location under the side covers would be too hot?

Space under side covers is a premium on my machine, and i am going back to original air boxes, so that spot was best for me.

Just finished my installation, ended up making a little aluminum bracket with some stand off/spacer deals to clear the bolt coming down from the battery box. Ended up looking real neat and tidy, cant even see it unless you're looking from below eye level. All the wiring was able to be snaked up under the side cover too so none of that is visible.

Back