Home school rebuild

Mrtedsgarage

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So we appreciate all the help I’ve gotten from you guys. We home school and I made the rebuild of a xs650 rebuild a school project in mechanics, resources and plain and simple how to figure your way out of a paper bag!
Our next dilemma, the connecting rods move side to side but oh so little.
image.jpg
Is there anyway we can get around replacing the bearings? It’s more of thing of finding a bench press then anything.

A little side play is normal. The manual gives you a value.... don't recall it offhand :umm:
Replacing the bearings and con rod is a little more involved than just having a hyd press. You need specialized press plates as well.

So we appreciate all the help I’ve gotten from you guys. We home school and I made the rebuild of a xs650 rebuild a school project in mechanics, resources and plain and simple how to figure your way out of a paper bag!
Our next dilemma, the connecting rods move side to side but oh so little. View attachment 190060 Is there anyway we can get around replacing the bearings? It’s more of thing of finding a bench press then anything.

Hi Mrted,
so long as the rods don't move up and down those big end bearings are just fine. Lil' bit side to side movement in a roller bearing is normal.
Remember the first lesson:- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Back