Horn and turn signal electrical questions

Paleomechanic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys ,
Well, things are coming along nicely , just two hang ups in the re wire . For those not following the “adventure “, I’m using ones of Mike’s harness
So, everything works except horn and signals

Horn first . My Observations! I have power though the horn all the time , meaning that without the button depressed, I have power on the brown going in, and power in the pink going out of the horn, button use does nothing . Bad switch ground perhaps?

Signals . Blows main fuse when install 3 pin relay unit . Oddly, I tossed on an LED one as well “ just to see”. Doesn’t blow fuse , just hums when I select left or right . Lights do not flash
Lights hooked up correctly, and independent verification on each light done , so no shorts to ground
Question ?? Is there a particular aftermarket flasher relay I need ? Or, can someone verify which colour wire goes to which prong ( ie to which prong marking ) just in case I’ve got a dead short when I’m plugging in

All the best guys and thanks in advance

Nick

Brown to the horn is always hot with key ON. I suspect that you don't have an adequate ground to the handlebars themselves for the Pink wire.

Memory fails atm on the flasher markings; pic?

Yep, bare the paint that will be underneath the switch housings on the right and left; the housings have a metal bar that makes the ground contact.

On the flasher, some generic 3-prong will be marked X,L,P; the X is power in (brown), the L is load (brown/white) and the P is not used with the Yamaha scheme. Some LED flashers have X & L with a third prong a ground

I've used various flashers (2 prong too) on Yamahas and invariably have to re-organize the wires in the black 3-way connector to get them right.

Yep, bare the paint that will be underneath the switch housings on the right and left; the housings have a metal bar that makes the ground contact.

On the flasher, some generic 3-prong will be marked X,L,P; the X is power in (brown), the L is load (brown/white) and the P is not used with the Yamaha scheme. Some LED flashers have X & L with a third prong a ground

I've used various flashers on Yamahas and invariably have to re-organize the wires in the black 3-way connector to get them right.
Ok perfect!

Tomorrow’s job :)
Thanks for the help !

Yes, on bikes up to '81 (I think), the left switch housing has a ground wire running into the headlight bucket and the right switch has none. The right switch housing gets its ground through the handlebars from the left switch. So, if you have painted handlebars, you have to clean some of the paint off where BOTH switches clamp on so the ground can travel between them. On the last couple model years, Yamaha finally gave the right switch housing it's own dedicated ground wire .....

83GroundWire.jpg

83Plug.jpg

Thanks for the pic 5twins (I looked for one all over).........

That's the "ground bar" & where the paint needs to be removed
1685189277020.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, and you'll find a similar one in the lower half of the left switch housing .....

SwitchGround2.jpg

What year is the bike? Because my later models ('78 and '83) don't have that ground wire to the bar mounts. They use the ground wire running out of the left control into the headlight bucket. In there, it connects to a ground wire that runs back to the frame. Nothing on the forks is a suitable ground because they are connected to the frame through greased bearings. That doesn't make for a good connection. It can be intermittent.

What year is the bike? Because my later models ('78 and '83) don't have that ground wire to the bar mounts. They use the ground wire running out of the left control into the headlight bucket. In there, it connects to a ground wire that runs back to the frame. Nothing on the forks is a suitable ground because they are connected to the frame through greased bearings. That doesn't make for a good connection. It can be intermittent.
Mostly a 76!

If your new gauge has a turn signal indicator light, I have some tricks if needed;)

Without the gauge's instructions, I'm guessing; but with two yellows, it may contemplate R&L circuits and you don't need my tricks (flasher P terminal or diodes). Neutral is always hot (harness brown) and the switch (harness sky blue) provides ground

Without the gauge's instructions, I'm guessing; but with two yellows, it may contemplate R&L circuits and you don't need my tricks (flasher P terminal or diodes). Neutral is always hot (harness brown) and the switch (harness sky blue) provides ground
Ok perfect
Do I ground the sky blue to the gauge mount ?

The gauge should have you connect a specific wire to the sky blue from the switch (often green) and the positive side of the bulb should go to harness brown.

If you have instructions, you could post a pic

The gauge should have you connect a specific wire to the sky blue from the switch (often green) and the positive side of the bulb should go to harness brown.

If you have instructions, you could post a pic
Sure! I’ll go through the boxes
There are 3 ground wires, I’m considering one of these is dedicated to the neutral sky blue, while the hot ( brown ) goes to the light ?
I’ll look for the instructions, :)

The neutral switch on top of the motor provides the ground for the sky blue wire when the bike is in neutral. Don't ground that wire anywhere else. If you do, the neutral light will always be on, lol.

Back