Hotwire with pamco ignition?

TAlber8

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a few other threads, but. I’m having an issue running: intermittent cylinder dying, switches sides, fresh battery. Has Pamco, single coil (Honda), have used diff coils to rule out.

It was suggested to wire battery directly to coil to see if that works, which would indicate issue in wiring and switches.

how would I do this, would that be the read wire off the pamco? I know I wouldn’t want to leave it wired because that could dry the coil right?

All things considered it makes the most sense to troubleshoot, overhaul the existing circuits to ensure you are getting good solid +12 to the coil/pamco. Don't forget the importance of all the grounds and secondary components (plugs, boots, coil wires).
Yes; the red wire that powers both your coil and pamco needs +12 and a conveniently located on off switch.

Yeah I think we’re pointing to making a new wiring harness and maybe switches too.

the grounds do seem to test ok, I think what might be happening is vibration from running is aggravating a poor connection or ground. It generally starts right up but a few moments-minutes a cylinder will start failing. It is charging, battery is good, and I’ve swappped batteries.

Hard to know for sure but a coil failing when warm is a very popular yet hard to pin down issue. Old Kaws were notorious for this.

Hard to know for sure but a coil failing when warm is a very popular yet hard to pin down issue. Old Kaws were notorious for this.
I‘ve swapped coils chasing this... sometimes it goes from cold motor to failing in just a few moments, I think that would be short for the coil to get heat soaked. Although anything’s possible...

Forum member @GLJ had basically the same problem. I suggested he run it with the cover off the Pamco unit to see if it was the unit itself overheating. It was... have a read here. Alternately, you could run it in the garage and when it starts acting up, blow some shop air on the Pamco and see if it clears up.

I’m having an issue running: intermittent cylinder dying, switches sides,
Forum member @GLJ had basically the same problem.
My problem was both cylinder died. Sounds like he may be just loosing one. It is possible it could be the PAMCO. Jim's suggestions are a very good!!

thank you! Good opinions!

i have to read that thread closer, but I originally wrote off them pamco as ‘OK’ since the coil was getting a signal (timed well), but I’ll look closer there as well

Do you have a real Pamco or the MikesXS knock-off? I think the over-heating issue is mostly with the MikesXS unit. A local guy here had the same problem. He pulled the "fake" Pamco off and put the points back in, lol.

I think the over-heating issue is mostly with the MikesXS unit.
Mine was a genuine PAMCO. Bought from his website. Probably last one he sold.
Maybe he was selling Mikes as his? Hmm

Maybe check all the semi conductors on the Pamco unit circuit board itself? Resistors, transistor, etc. I blew a transistor once and bought a new one off Mouser. $12 fix. Your case not the transistor because it wouldn't fire at all. I have no idea what's in the control box to how to test it.

Wait, did you say one cylinder failed? Did you say you had a single waste spark coil? One cylinder cannot fail to fire as both plugs fire at the same time.

You could have a short to ground in the failed cylinder. Firing but not through the plug. The plug could be fouled in the failed cylinder, firing through the fouling. The magnet in the rotor could be 'off' not triggering the sensor.

Tt

Well it could if the plug, plug wire, or plug cap is bad on that side. The coil is firing, the signal's just not getting through.

I was thinking maybe a weak spark... and that’s why it’s failed, and it’s not always the same cylinder.

hoping for some free time this week to play

Back