How do you guys keep your regulator/rectifier cool?

caj411

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that Pamco Pete is no longer in business, I need to protect my e-advancer/ignition more than ever. I don't know what I would do if it were to get fried. As I understand it, with a big capacitor and almost zero current draw, the only thing protecting it is the rectifier.

I'm fearful that if I run it too long the rectifier may crap out due to overheating since I only have a headlight and a brake light, no other electrical draw to dissipate the energy produced by the PMA, so the rectifier has to work hard and gets very hot in a short time. Its rated for 250 watts, buuuut, you know how that goes.

Does anyone else out there have a setup similar or suggestions for how to protect my precious Pamco ignition and advancer now that it is vintage, like the bike? I thought about putting a big Xenon bulb on the frame something to light up the night and absorb a pile of watts at the same time. Or maybe find a huge rectifier, I know Hughes Handbuilt has one rated to 350 watts, but that still seems like it might not be enough.

The regulator is what shunts off the excess voltage and gets hot, not the rectifier.

How much power can your pma produce? You have to know that to solve your problem.

Since it sounds like you have a PMA the best bet is to upgrade the reg/rec. Currently the best one is the SH775, rather than shunt extra power to ground and creating heat it shuts down phases of the stator. This allows the stator and the reg/rec to run cooler. They were factory on a bunch of different polaris atvs and side by sides. New they are pricey, but can be found for about $50 on ebay used. Mine was maybe above ambient temp after a 30 mile ride, and charges steady at 14.2v. I have all LED lights, but the fuel pump for the EFI probably makes up for that.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Ranger-800-EFI-11-Regulator-20516-/303186716717?nav=SEARCH

The sh847 is an upgraded newer version of the sh775. Either will work fine for the XS, I burned out 2 mosfet style reg/recs with my set up before giving the sh775 a try. At about $50 for a used geniune one it's a deal. Consistent very steady voltage, and almost no heat. In the what did you do today thread I posted a picture resting my hand on the reg/rec after a 30 mile ride. It was cooler than the top of the gas tank.

The sh847 is an upgraded newer version of the sh775. Either will work fine for the XS, I burned out 2 mosfet style reg/recs with my set up before giving the sh775 a try. At about $50 for a used geniune one it's a deal. Consistent very steady voltage, and almost no heat. In the what did you do today thread I posted a picture resting my hand on the reg/rec after a 30 mile ride. It was cooler than the top of the gas tank.

thanks for the information and your experience, I'll order one shortly.

Back