How the hell does this kicker shaft work?!?

imwastefull

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I took the Right side cover off to polish and put on a new gasket and since i put it back together my kick isn't working right.

It will move the pistons but the kicker won't spring back. Once i crack it back open how do i put the kicker shaft in right? any tips or ideas? are there any diagrams or anything?

Thanks dudes!

Open the cover, it will all make sense. It's a minor trick to reassemble unless you broke the spring stop post by forcing it.

I was just looking through the thread in the link above, I think everything is in there. Sounds like you may not have the spring pretensioned, this picture from that thread is probably the relevant one.

file-4.jpg

Kick shaft install instructions are given in the factory shop manual (page 30 of the "Engine" section) and honestly, I don't know how they could be much simpler. It is available for free on-line here .....

http://www.biker.net/650_service/650service main.html

When you 1st insert the shaft, position it so that you can hook the return spring to the case tab at the top left and also fit the drag clip loop into the case slot on the bottom right. The drag clip can be easily rotated on the shaft if need be to align it with the case slot .....

Kicker Install.jpg

Now, on the back end of the shaft is a nub or boss. When fully installed, this will drop down into a cut-out in the case and limit the kicker's travel .....

XSkicker2.jpg

When you start the shaft install with it positioned so the return spring can be hooked to the case tab, that nub will not be aligned with it's cut-out area in the case (indicated in red below). It will hit on the raised area next to it (indicated in blue below). The shaft will only go in part way .....

XSkicker1.jpg

To get that nub down into it's cut-out and get the shaft to push in fully, you need to slip the kick arm on the shaft, rotate it down about 1/2 turn, and push the shaft in the rest of the way. Rotating the shaft moves the nub off that high blue area and over to it's cut-out area (red arrow). Then the shaft can be pushed in fully. (Thanks to Gary for the last 2 pics which I "doctored" a bit)

Last edited:
Yeah, its the rubick's cube of motorcycles. I tell guys to practice installing it with the side cover removed. Install and remove several times, until you have a feel for it. Once you understand how to do it, you will realize how simple it is. Finally remove the kick lever, install the cover, and put the kick lever back on.

if no one has any objection I thought I'd add this video to the thread in case its helpful in the future to anyone else looking for help .
Don't forget to put the shim washer on the kickstart spigot before replacing the cover or the kickstart assembly will float . Guess who forgot !

NhO7aFA.jpg

To get that nub down into it's cut-out and get the shaft to push in fully, you need to slip the kick arm on the shaft, rotate it down about 1/2 turn, and push the shaft in the rest of the way. Rotating the shaft moves the nub off that high blue area and over to it's cut-out area (red arrow). Then the shaft can be pushed in fully. (Thanks to Gary for the last 2 pics which I "doctored" a bit)

the bold is where you lose me. after aligning the spring and lower clip, is the nub supposed to be on the blue area, then rotated to go onto the red area with the kickstarter? and which way do you do your half turn (counterclockwise seems to me so the spring gets pulled back. however if i do that the spring doesnt hold, it flies off.

and during step 1 above (lining it up) is the gear on the assembly supposed to be pushed towards the bike or towards me when I'm lining it up?

i drew lines on where my nub is at this point. i aligned like you did, put the kickstart leg on it, turned it half way to the left, so i think my nub is in the red area now, spring has some tension, but it doesnt let me go any fur....hold on i heard a click!

Attachments

• IMG_3572.JPG
    IMG_3572.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 299
Yes, the nub will start out on the higher blue area when you first insert it and attach the spring. Rotating the shaft with the kick arm will move the nub off the blue area and into the lower red area. Then you can push the shaft in all the way. Yes, rotate the shaft counterclockwise, same direction you'd kick it in. Keep some inward pressure on the shaft as you rotate it and it should drop into the lower red area once rotated enough.

I guess about the only way to test it is to fit the cover back on. If correct, the cover will go all the way on up tight to the gasket. There should be no gaps. It may require a couple gentle taps with a rubber mallet to seat onto the dowels, but that's all. Don't force it if it won't go. Don't try to use the screws to pull it in. You should grease or anti-seize the dowels so the cover goes on and off them easier.

Back