How to aggravate yourself in one easy step.. or two.... maybe three

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
The subject... 75' Cb450 Honda K7..... last plated....ran 1985. So I do the usual.. Tossed Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders, (kicked it over repeatedly during the first start up procedure..over the three days....add'n more Marvel at times ) ... change the oil.... pulled carbs.... surprisingly very clean internally. In 1985 they didn't have the crummy gas we have today. Carbs were kitted with new floats. Tossed in a weak battery, everything electrically worked... I hand toggled the points.. spark ! Checked for spark at the important end.... the NGK's B7ES ...... Nothing. Changed condensor... no change. Replaced the resistor end caps.... SPARK ! when I hand toggle the points. I'm moments away from start up...! Hooked up a good battery.... Checked for spark with electric starter.... Nope... Nah Duh.... kick the bike over.. spark.. ? Nothing....I ^%$#)(*@# ... Grrrrrr The points do open and close.... This bike isn't going to be a keeper... just get it running... squared away and... hopefully break even.... So electronic ignition isn't going to happen.... ( I have to do fork seals, brake caliper and replace the master cylinder ).....New points have been ordered.

Back