How would I proceed with my wiring?

tcyrenne

Vintage rider, newbie home builder
Reaction score
Howdy

This is my first post... I believe. I am so grateful for being a part of this community, I have read and learned so much on this site, and I’ve only begun…

About my bike, I bought an unfinished project almost 18 months ago... and now I am finally able to put some time into the bike.

I bought it from my good friends brother, however he didn’t know much about the history. He bought it a few years before as a project and never got to it… he did say however he did see it / hear it run before he bought it (I believe) lol.

A bit risky purchase I realize, however here’s what I know:
20210314_204050.jpg

1980 xs650
OEM - TCI ignition
Munuki BS34 Carbs
32 tooth Rear sprocket
16 tooth front sprocket
Engine/tranny work (unknown)
OEM controls

MODS:
KS only - electric starter removed
small apes
peanut tank
bratt kit
new wiring harness
new indicators
new brake light

In any regard, I'm trying to figure out the wiring scheme... I'm not looking for help with the lights and horn so much, however I'm looking for instruction on connecting the components, rectifier, coil, battery, ignition, fuse box etc. and how that all connects to the wiring harness.

I have a picture of my wiring setup what I believe to be the correct way based on what I've researched on this site.
20210324_174803.jpg

Im not sure if it will be visible enough, however I have numbered the following in the picture:

1. Rectifier
2. coil
3. pig-tails plug - came with new wiring harness...
4. key ignition
5. ignition unit
6. pig-tails plug - came with new wiring harness...
7. new fuse box
8. new part??... I'm not sure what it is for
9. OEM electrical part... I'm not sure what it is for
10. Battery

I have 2 wiring diagrams I found on this site, I believe them to be accurate to my bike so I am trying to replicate those. If I am marching down the wrong path, please let me know,

Cheers mates!

Picture is a bit small cant see clearly
if you have the parts ..and the Schematic ,,, why not simply compare ..and if all components are on the
floor just install
I also dont know that -- 8. new part??... I'm not sure what it is for

IMG_0011.PNG
Welcome aboard!
I'd say if you're utilizing the most of the old wiring harness then get the schematic that goes with the year. Use what you need and hide what you don't.
Here's a schematic lifted from the tech section under electrical, 1980. Thanks to member Jamel.
Other opinions may differ.

I'll add that a volt/ohm meter and a light probe are going to be your friend however you go.

Last edited:
This is the basic diagram you need for factory TCI ignition, (black box #5
tci basic wiring Diagrahm - Copy.jpg

#1 is the Factory, SS combined Regulator/Rectifier

#8 looks like an after market Reg/Rect

Need a better pic to identify as there are 2 different types sold, one for points ignition and the other for factory TCI ignition. The wires are different.

Your simplified diagram looks like it is the one INXS posted for his bike. If it is then it is wrong for your situation as he converted his bike to a PMA charging system..hard to see as your pic is to distant and the part wires cant be identied

thanks for the feedback and the diagrams, I'll have a closer look in the coming days.

650Skull I cannot recall where I found the diagram on this site, I combed through tonnes of posts and images o_O until I found one that looked like what I was working with. I have never (EVER) tackled wiring on anything other than my house, and that was unnerving for me!

I can post pics once I think I have the layout correct and then, I'd look forward to your feedback

T

I started to connect the charging system. I'd like to get as far as being able to get spark to the coil so I can attempt to start the beast.
It is Kick start only as well.

Here are some pics of what's connected to what.
20210401_125450.jpg
20210401_125436.jpg
20210401_125429.jpg
20210401_125408.jpg

You say you have a new harness but your pics seem to show the components plugged into an original harness. If that's the case, then why bother with those little extension looms?

Good morning,

I haven’t installed my harness yet, what I have done here is only plug the rectifier and ignition unit into the alternator.

I have a wire that runs to the coil, however I am not sure if those are the correct wires, I based in on the colour of wires.

I am trying to rig up the the most basic wiring so that I can start the bike to see how she runs and adjust carbs etc.

The new wiring harness that the previous owner gave me was basically plug and play.

I’m tinkering on my bike atm...

Looking at the OEM TCI ignition drawing above, I figure the brown and red from the loom go to the ignition switch and black to ground.

now gonna have a Polk at the ignition unit side...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 131
The component in your pic is the combined regulator/rectifier, not the ignition "black box". The 3 white and one red wire go to the rectifier portion. The brown and green wires go to the regulator portion. The black is a ground that splits and goes to both. The brown into the regulator is switched power from the key. The green is the regulator signal out to the outer brush. The 3 whites are AC current into the rectifier from the alternator. The red is converted DC current out to the battery for charging.

When you say the model is 1980 is that based on the chassis number/production data printed on the frame behind the headlight? Your engine may be older (no oil level window) so also check its own number which can be found at the front of the engine just below and slightly to the right side of the base of the chromed oil line?

upload_2021-4-3_19-34-37.jpeg

In your original posting you mention Item 8. This looks to be another rectifier/regulator unit. It should have a part number printed on it , probably underneath. If you give a close up photo of its front and back we should be able to identify it and whether or not you can use it directly with the engine you have.

Also, those short little pigtails suggest to me they are there to convert an old style harness for points ignition models to the more modern version with the TCI ignitions???

If you want a very basic wiring diagram then that one 650Skull listed above is ideal.

Last edited:
Back