Huge voltage drop! Need diagnosis help

As an aside, did your H4 headlight come with 55W/60W bulb? Unless you are running highway revs it will kill your battery. Put a 35W or LED in it and check again, or maybe just run without a bulb for an hour or so as an experiment.
Running a 200 watt PMA should handle 55w/60w bulb. Be better for the R/R, less excess power to bleed off

Possibly.

Most PMAs I have seen have put out less power than the oem setup.
It appears the OP is running an XSCharge PMA that is advertised - if working properly - at 200 Watts output, whereas a stock XS is ~140 Watts output. As Skull said, it's commonly beneficial to run a big headlight to take strain (shunt) off the regulator on 200W PMA's

Per the Yamaha shop manual. 150w

1678044587201.png

I have run the bike with both a 35watt headlight and this 55 watt before. Although now along with this 55 watt I have quite a few more accessories on albeit the majority are LED which altogether probably only total another 15 watts. I can't find anywhere what the backlights on the mikes tach and speedo draw.( 4 led turns, tach, speedo, brake, running rear, headlight, and voltage monitor)
My brake and tail running are normal lights so probably like 10-20 watts?

I can't find anywhere what the backlights on the mikes tach and speedo draw.( 4 led turns, tach, speedo, brake, running rear, headlight, and voltage monitor)
My brake and tail running are normal lights so probably like 10-20 watts?
Standard incandescent bulbs...
XS LOADS.jpg

Update guys I removed my accessories circuit. Put a temp wire to my headlight power. Everything looks good now. I'll upload the videos to YouTube and link here in an edit for you to see.
Eventually I wanna re title this thread with something so people can find all this good info on bulbs and batteries

Last edited:
Glad to see you are making progress and the regulator is functioning...:)

Thinking ahead a little. Batteries do not like excessive vibration. On your bike, being hardtail, does your battery have any vibration dampening around it e.g. is battery box rubber mounted or perhaps the battery sits on a rubber/foam mat?

Update guys I removed my accessories circuit. Put a temp wire to my headlight power. Everything looks good now. I'll upload the videos to YouTube and link here in an edit for you to see.
Eventually I wanna re title this thread with something so people can find all this good info on bulbs and batteries

It is charging but it is nor running as it should there
I would start have it run warm no choke check ignition timing it can be to late ..
Take it from there

@Jan_P
Yes that was just hastily put back together. It was choked. Carbs need to be re-synced and tuned after cleaning. And the ignition was a bit off.
After I get this electrical sorted I'll be doing the full timing chain, valves, ignition, and carb tuning again.
It's all been off the bike in the last 3 days at some point

Back