Hydraulic Clutch Intrest?

What would you be willing to pay for a purpose built xs650 hydraulic slave cylinder?

• Under $100

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • $100 - $125

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • $125 - $150

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • $150 - $175

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • $175 - $200

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
For a finished product being marketed and sold across the country/world, with manufacturing facilities, packaging, distributors, help desks, and product liability insurance, sure; that takes time. This approach would also take say, $20k and turn it into $2k rapidly. No one will get rich making these; if lucky, they may be able to cover their beer costs while they are doing the machining...:cheers:

But to make a dozen or so and sell them as "XS 650 parts", with no warranty expressed or implied, this should be a lot simpler, if someone had the skills, tools, time and interest to do it. Heck, other than the piston size that I asked about awhile ago, all the info is out there; and no disrespect meant to anyone, but it ain't rocket science. You've both done a superb job in the modeling (Metal) and the first unit (Oddjob).

So I'll go out on a limb and pose the question I think a few are thinking....:twocents:
Metal - are you still interested in pursuing this? Enquiring minds want to know...:poke: And I think there are at least half a dozen folks serious enough to part with some greenbacks...

Oddjob - how is yours working out? Did you have to alter the clutch pushrod?

In the two years I was making and selling alternator brackets for PMA swaps, my net profit [after recouping tooling cost] was $36. No joke, I kept good records of all the money going in and coming out. I spent all my time in the garage making parts for other people and was constantly bashed for charging too much.

Maybe I'm jaded, but it seems the only way to actually make money selling parts for cheap bikes is to have little kids in China do all the real work, then you slap your name on it and send it out.

In the two years I was making and selling alternator brackets for PMA swaps, my net profit [after recouping tooling cost] was $36. No joke, I kept good records of all the money going in and coming out. I spent all my time in the garage making parts for other people and was constantly bashed for charging too much.

Maybe I'm jaded, but it seems the only way to actually make money selling parts for cheap bikes is to have little kids in China do all the real work, then you slap your name on it and send it out.
The education? Priceless!

Quote:
"Maybe I'm jaded, but it seems the only way to actually make money selling parts for cheap bikes is to have little kids in China do all the real work, then you slap your name on it and send it out."

So true.............so true! Don't forget about India using children to make rugs, instead of going to school!

I got tired of waiting for you all to sort this out...it's been like a week. So I ordered the german one.

If you want any measurements let me know.

Will dry fit it tomorrow and post pics if there is interest.

Thanks for the idea
IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0939.JPG

Cool!
Yes, please post pics. This looks like an "outie" version though? That's the only flavor I can find on the Heiden Tuning site.
It also appears the slave is two pieces? Never seen that b4.

Please post ordering info and website link if you have one. I need 2 cyls now not someday maybe!

Xs650shop.de was easy. Not automated. Fill out the order and they send a PayPal invoice. English was fine by email. Shipping took 5 days. Box was beat up but complete. Like I said I will dry fit it tomorrow and post pics. Came w no instructions so I might need some consult.

Cool!
Yes, please post pics. This looks like an "outie" version though? That's the only flavor I can find on the Heiden Tuning site.
It also appears the slave is two pieces? Never seen that b4.
That nipple w the bleed screw has a notch for the included circlip. I think it all fits behind the case and gets covered by the stock chrome cover

IMG_0940.JPG
IMG_0942.JPG
IMG_0942.JPG

Popped right in
no mods needed.

There is some lateral play that I think will work itself out once there is pressure on it from the other side.
If I am not getting enough separation there is enough room to shim between the side cover and the slave body to adjust my throw.

pretty pleased w/ it so far

I'd guess it uses the same case hole as the clutch cable? That would make sense.
Bleeding does look like a concern; although it would not be a big deal to pull the case cover off, invert, bleed, and re-install.
It does look like a slick system.

Why is there not a "Thumbs Up" smilie in the list???

Thumbs%20Up.jpg

I don't quite understand peoples concerns on bleeding. it has a bleed nipple on the outside of the case under the stock clutch adjustment cover. I think it should be fairly straightforward.
hydro line came preassembled and exits the slave straight down. it does not fit through the cable hole without modification. I think it will just follow the alternate wires right out of the cover taking care to route around the chain. I don't think it will be a problem

Jame5on - My thought, and prolly others , is that air likes to go up. Trying to bleed from a lower source, pointing down may... not will... be problematic. Embarrassed to say, sometimes it has taken me days fighting bleeding problems. I finally bit the bullet and use a big bleeder powered by an air compressor, sucking fluid the "wrong way" from conventional thinking. Best thing since sliced bread! If this fights you, that may be an option.

Back to the slave - did you per chance take it apart? I'm still curious as to why they made it two piece. I was thinking of doing it like a brake caliper, as the original gent did who started this a couple years ago, and Metal and OddJob.

Just to get it out there, I PM'd Metal (who started this thread) a couple days ago, but have not heard anything back. Does anybody have another way to contact him?

We still need a thumbs-up smilie...:poke:

bleeding: got it now. I have done hydro brakes on mt bikes too many times to think about. I will do the original fill w/ the assembly off the bike so that I can limit bubbles in the system and then do final bleed after assembly.

as to the construction. I will turn the screws when I am in the shop this weekend and post some pics of the two halves if it seems to come apart without too much effort.

my intention in posting this here was to help this effort so if I can further the project that is good by me.

Hey JameSon, did you have to grind away part of the oil channel on the crankcase as they suggest? (page 3 of install instructions) Call me crazy but that kind of stuff scares the shit outta me!

Back