I am so dumb!,

prmurat

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally got all the electricity on XS2 working (new alt/Boyer/wire loom) (but the left turn signals), button up everything (carbs redone, new mufflers, shocks and redone caliper)... So the great moment is here: couple of kick,then a try with the ES... And it starts... Straight to idle, up the rpm...only 30 sec as I am inside!
Just forgot to put oil in the engine.... So dumb! I will drop some oil in the cylinders and in the valves covers and hope for the best! What else can I do??

I feel bad for ya, So if you are not goin to pull it apart and do an inspection.
I guess at this point after putting the oil in, I would turn it over without the plugs in it, and get some oil flowing before starting. Then start it up and hope for the best, A compression test might be in order. And maybe an inspection of the oil filters soon after running for a bit. I hope its OK, Ed
and GL

OUCH I'm sorry. The good news is that due to the XS having nearly all roller bearings it's not likely you did serious damage to the bottom end. You'll just have to see how well the pistons/bores held out. You might have snuck by the graveyard though. A well used older engine can hold out quite a while without oil if it's not under load... I am sure you can see you tube videos of guys trying to blow up car motors with no oil. Sometimes they won't blow no matter how hard they try.

Well... everything seems to be ok! I did squirt some oil in the cylinders, kick/turn the engine to get oil everywhere...could not find my comp tester si I am waiting to start if after being able to check the comp. The engine is old 34000 miles and I emptied the oil cold last time...so between the freeplay and the rest of oil, I hope it'll be ok!!!
thanks for the tips!

Posted via Mobile

did it die on its own? or did you kill it first?
if you killed it first, and didnt make a shitload of internal noise, i bet your ok. but you prolly added 500 miles to your already old ring. I hope its ok.

Don't forget the ol' trick of squirting some Marvel Mystery Oil down in the spark plug sockets before you turn it over. Had a 1960 Ford F-100 with a 292 Y-block, did this little trick and it went from barely cranking to perfect in a few revolutions. It'll smoke pretty good once it gets fired up, but it's not going to hurt anything.

Most people would do that and then never tell anyone about it, let alone post it here. But thanks for sharing.. maybe it will help keep a few people from making the same mistake.

I think you are wasting your time and money putting anything down the bores at this time. And since you put almost no running time on your "moist" (i.e. not totally dry) motor I doubt that you hurt anything at all.

Back