I bought this today..

Sorry i couldn't resist rotating the pic.............kept getting a crick in my neck looking at the bike..........its worth a good look.
IMG_20220810_101010 rotate 3 crop.jpg

You're right, Skull, looking again I can see round slide BS34 Mikunis fitted from 1980 on. Good carbs, but they won't play well with those tapered oval small fabric filters; not enough still air volume to let the slides function with much stability, and no competent tuner would fit that combination (though most "expert" stylists would). Try large (as in 4" long) foam filters instead, or fit nonvacuum carbs. Stalling when coming to a stop or downhill under even engine braking is usually a symptom of low float level (=high fuel level). The change in attitude of the bike pushes fuel high to the front of the bowls, causing momentary flooding. That's easily fixed. There were 2 types of floats, brass and plastic, used in early and late BS34s, and they took very different float level settings. The "experts" may have been unaware of this. Farmer, you have a lovely machine with a lot of potential. Looks like all it needs is a few tweaks and a little money to be a real premium ride. Enjoy the project!

Last edited:
Those Keihin knockoff carbs may cause more grief than they're worth; an expert stylist (lots of them out there) might install them, but an expert tuner (harder to find) wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole (or a 12 foot swede). Good luck. Enjoy!
Metric or English standard 12 foot?....

Back