i Broke my valve guide, recomendations bronse or factory steel?

billy icon

test pilot,gunnie pig, and all around experiment
Reaction score
hello all, again:cautious:... the new guy here again, so as I have stated in a few other threads, Im going to do a engine build from the ground up and as soon as all the pieces are in order that thread will be started , but heres what I dun did last night, I have a head that I "ported" and "polished" now I have a lot of experience with this and I have read a great deal about the xs heads, so we can discuss how that was done during the build, but heres where I screwed up, I wanted to remove my valve guides on the ehaust side to shorten them, yes I should have figured a way to do it in the head, but I was impatient, the thing is I had already tapered the guides when I did the port job so the ends of them where thin, and I heated the head in the oven to 250, then using a guide removal tool I began, and CRAP SNACKS!! I broke the guide at the end inside the bowl, Now if it had just broke a little that would be fine, but of corse it broke off enuf that it would no longer reach all the way into the bwowl if re inserted... and SOoooo?? I guess this build is going to receive new guides, at least exhaust guides, :banghead: probably for the best.. so Im asking all yall what you opinions is? It seems it is cheaper to purchase bronse guides (from what ive seen so far) as factory steel seem very expensive, I did find a used set of factory ones with 4 rocker arms for a decent price... in the past I have used bronse where there was no valve guide seal, and some old 50s motorheads have told me that steel valve guides require leaded fuel to lube them, that doesn't make scence to me since there is a seal, ya know, either way just looking to gather some opinions from the collective out there.. just to help, and get a mental preview of the engine build, its going to be a 750cc with a xs1 cam, boyer iggy.. and the MILD ported head, I also have two sets of valve springs that are slightly thinker that factory , and also the springs are not progressive wound, don't know if those will be getting used, if interested in those read my other thread xs1 cam specs(maybe) … and again Im loving this place.

Iron guides will last longer on the exhaust side for street use and will be less expensive that bronze. Might check kibblewhite and see if they offer a iron guide for the XS,I know at one time they did, would be a better option then getting them from MikesXS or get really good used ones

Back