I can't stop myself, single cam CB750

The first CB I ever bought back in ‘80 was a 1970 model. It had extended forks, rear shock lowering kit, Cafe seat and 16” rear wheel along with the obligatory welded cases. Bike took me many miles. Riding it from Texas to CA it holed a piston in NM. My roommate at the time had an S-10 that we took a road trip in and picked it up. Ended up rebuilding the engine, mounted it in a Jammer hard tail frame and rode the crap out of it some more. That was when customizing Jap bikes was only in its infancy. I had a lot of Harley riders look down their noses at me, especially when the chopper had a crowd of young ladies hanging out around it..

After thinking about it I wanted to find my pictures of that bike 70C1E8D2-CA9B-44AC-9F3B-E3C5EEDF9B91.jpeg

Front brake R&R completed. Brake was really gummed up, took some work to get the piston out of the caliper. Caliper and MC stripped bare, cleaned, painted, reassembled, Pads only new parts used. Used the patented "no bleed" and bingo bango hard lever with not a drop of brake fluid spilt to spoil the fresh paint.
Fired it up and took it around the country block. All seemed good, don't get me wrong there's PLENTY to be done, but it's running smoke free, quiet and strong, on all 4, everything is working. (um, not horn) Stopped to show my neighbor that put me on to it and sent a pic to the old friend I bought it from. Sent a few pics to a member here who will go nameless, He said stop working, name your price. So it's out in the shed 'til he can wend his way here to take it away.. I'll drain the fuel and remove the battery for winter storage.
signal-2022-10-01-14-57-20-055.jpg

76CB750LH.jpg

:twocents: After I put it in the shed, I took Weathervane out for 40 smiles of backroads,
Those Honda boyz don't know what they're missing. :sneaky:

KIMG2284.JPG

Profit? What’s that? Either I’m unlucky or just make bad buisness decisions. I can make a few bucks by flipping bikes with little or no repair. Seems like every time I completely go through a motorcycle, I have to much invested. No profit margin if any. I told him “Pack them up. Vintage Days in Mid Ohio is where you’ll get the best price.”

There were prototype models sent to the US, specifically CA, and appeared at the '69 Dealer Convention in Las Vegas. I've not come across the story you reference (he would have been 63). He was known to have been personally involved in the development, often visiting the shop floor and was in attendance at the '69 Las Vegas convention.

https://www.cb750.com/threads/history-of-the-cb750-a-compendium.7937/
I can't find the story either:confused:. Points I remember? This was a magazine article. The Old Man was older than 63 at the time, so this could have been the DOHC, 16 valve and shim 750. I'll try to tell the gist of the story without embellishing any of it.

Old Man Honda was not known to give any pats on the back for anything. While the workers were testing the bike he unexpectedly got on the bike and took off into the desert and rode out of sight. He was gone for a long time and his people were discussing if they should go look for him or not. He soon came back, got off the bike and exclaimed, "Awesome machine!". This, supposedly, is maybe, the only time he ever gave his people any form of praise.

Last edited:
Straightened-up the shop over the weekend to start a new mess. I swear I'm gonna start tomorrow - just a raggedy CB750F1 and a pile of parts. Maybe a future, bare bones build thread @ CB750.com......
20221009_214923.jpg

20221009_215014 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 20221009_214927.jpg
    20221009_214927.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 58
Straightened-up the shop over the weekend to start a new mess. I swear I'm gonna start tomorrow - just a raggedy CB750F1 and a pile of parts. Maybe a future, bare bones build thread @ CB750.com......
View attachment 227342
That looks like the big brother to my wife's CJ360
26.jpg

Back