I can't stop myself, single cam CB750

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Guess I do a thread.
One owner, 30K, was sitting in a plastic shed way out in a farm field, agreed on a price, plate is 08, owner claimed he started it two years ago. He had a portable compressor so we aired up the tires. We grunted and groaned, dragged it up on the trailer (front brake stuck on)
KIMG2219.JPGsignal-2022-09-21-13-46-33-611.jpg
Allison got a lunch for riding along and helping with the loading. No battery, Uses the same battery as the XS650. Had one out of a bike already, got oil pressure light, head light but no starter, or neutral light. Took front caliper off, pads could be wedged apart. MC would move the piston but it's R&R time for the brake. Cleaned, looked around, etc. Back at it a bit today.

Side bar; about 4PM power company texted, said your power is out, we're on the way. Odd cuz I was using the desktop computer at the time. Anyways the meter told the company it was out of juice on one leg. crew was here in minutes with bucket truck. They narrowed it down to a break in a leg underground between pole and meter, about 30' apart. they jumpered from an overhead line to the meter and left. 8AM two trucks and backhoe showed. By 9:30 they were done and gone. Line was just beyond where my paving stops so they didn't tear up any pavement.

Lots going on today but cleaned a bit, removed windshield and top box.
Then; things didn't go as planned. Had it in the driveway. tank was clean inside, only a few ounces of old gas. Added a gallon of lawnmower gas. Started draining old gas out of the float bowls, was draining bowl #2, pulled plug from #1 to check for spark, kicked it over and.............

pics from the shed where it was resting.
KIMG2210.JPGKIMG2212.JPGKIMG2214.JPGKIMG2216.JPG
O

Last edited:
it started running on 3 cylinders.
Ding Ding Ding!
It sure did! One kick, I saw spark but hmm seemed like it turned over easy and long, second kick it started and stayed running.
Put the plug back in, fired it up, just a bit of smoke, kept running with the choke off Took it around the driveway with the front caliper flopping on the fork leg. LOL. Seems to run "fine" headlight bright, it's charging.
Oil tank was about dry, so added a quart. After running it, oil is over filled (and filthy) So the tank had drained back to the sump over a couple years.

Man i love CB's. I have one in boxes that i've been meaning to build for about 10 years now :( Have a lotta goodies for it too (836, ported head, nice cam, excel 18's, etc etc)

too many projects, too many kids, no time!

Prices for these bikes are getting real expensive. Start with good bones and they certainly seem worth bringing back to life.

I didn’t really get it at first, but as soon as I got mine set up properly, they were definitely a super bike of the time and they look good doin it.

I didn’t really get it at first,
I'm with you there... ;^)
scrubbing away, doing this n that today.
starter works if you grab a big screwdriver and.....
motor starts easy, no smoke.
Will do an oil change REAL soon.
Really need to check the airbox, cuz shed/mice y'know?
Need to R&R front brake. then go ride it a bit.

Put in a pretty full day with scrub brushes, mineral spirits, blue magic and rags.
KIMG2224.JPG
KIMG2225.JPG

Starting to see motorcycle peeking out here n there. The chrome has seen better days but it'll do as a daily rider.
Allison is making goo-goo eyes at it. :cautious:
Think that's a Corbin.
Lets just say it wasn't "over" maintained.
hmm...

Dang! Looks good!

Good thing is , they made a ton and a lot of years are carry overs. Any rusted chrome can be swapped with good stuff fairly cheap and easy if you desire.

I know the later restricted bikes are more tame but you should still have a good time on it.

Put in a pretty full day with scrub brushes, mineral spirits, blue magic and rags.
View attachment 225951View attachment 225952
Starting to see motorcycle peeking out here n there. The chrome has seen better days but it'll do as a daily rider.
Allison is making goo-goo eyes at it. :cautious:
Think that's a Corbin.
Lets just say it wasn't "over" maintained.
hmm...
I'd say it cleaned up nicely
Not too much but enough shine to catch your attention

There must be something wrong with me, all I can think of is tearing the motor apart, polishing the shiny bits, cleaning the cases, New pistons, cam chain, primary chain, gaskets, seals, then taking my time putting it back together. Then tearing it apart and doing it all over again, at least a dozen times.. I do hope that seat will get lost!

I'm sorta feeling tempted myself.
Not to build a mint one.
Obviously that would cost $$$$$$$$$$.
But maybe a rat 750 Four built out of other restorers cast off parts.
Scruffy but still full of character
Is there still a big problem with rear brake drum liners cracking like on the 550 ?

Nice find. They’ve never popped up on the center stand like the Xs’.Even in the early days,all 140#’s of me could do it but grunted.Now in to my 60’s and 75# more on the meter I struggled with my 76f until I got a tip to “Just slide a 3/4to 1” cheater board under it”.It sure helps.Just saying.Enjoy the ride.👍

Back