I can't stop myself, single cam CB750

. . . one of his Air Force buddies came riding up on a brand new Honda CB750, the first model. I remember it like it was yesterday, the sound of that four cylinder engine, those four exhaust pipes, that gleaming gold metallic paint . . .
View attachment 226129View attachment 226130
Must about the same time, the Milk Race - a bicycle event - passed through Galashiels. One of the attendants, might have been a marshal or whatever, had one of the new CB750s. Metallic gold paint, four pipes. Parked up right outside our house. Sat on his bike talking to a small group of guys about the bike. While I stood close by, listening, watching, eyes like saucers. For some reason, the gear lever took my attention, so small and neat for such a huge and powerful machine.

I tried to post there and get involved with my build, but it was absolute crickets.
[/QUOTE]

Ditto for my CB project. Seemed to be 1-2 regular post responders. Pretty much quiet other than that.

WE could make it happen;)
There's really not that much even on the evil FB.
front brake today, caliper done MC coming apart, pads on order.
KIMG2236.JPG

OFF topic but postal clerk caught counterfeit postage on an inbound package from Ali express Friday. Had to refuse delivery or pay more than the original charge for some sealant.
parcel 9-24 postage due refused.jpg

They said it's a big deal, tons of fake labels all over the country. Like the Post Office needs to lose more money...

Last edited:
In 1969, I was a twelve year old kid, living in Phoenix. My next door neighbor was a fighter pilot ( Phantoms ) at Luke Air Force Base. One day, one of his Air Force buddies came riding up on a brand new Honda CB750, the first model. I remember it like it was yesterday, the sound of that four cylinder engine, those four exhaust pipes, that gleaming gold metallic paint. The bike instantly drew a crowd of neighbors who came over to see that bike.
It looked like sex on wheels! It sure made a lasting impression on this kid!
View attachment 226129View attachment 226130

I’m trying think of another bike at the time that used the candy paints like Honda. They seem to just define the era.

If I didn’t have a candy gold cb350 I’d of went with gold on the 750.

WE could make it happen;)
There's really not that much even on the evil FB.

Needs a tech menu. Without one there is nothing to attract the people who don't interact, (or those that do), on forums. Its those people who add to the click bait. Only have to look at the amount of guests% to members on here to see where most of the forums use is

How many of the XS650 members, ( and those non members who are never heard from), have posted their build after finishing it and then state they used the tech menu and couldn't have done it without it.

I was stationed in Japan in 1972, guy in the base motorcycle club bought one. He let me take a test ride, but it was on base and 40 KPH was the max limit anywhere on base and the AP's (Air Force base) had NO sense of humor so I didn't get to do much but putt around a little.

Liked it, but way out of my budget at the time.

A friend bought one of the first ones in the area and was pleased to bits with it, rapidly clocking up the miles as he travelled all over.
He took it for an MoT (inspection) and the tester passed it with a clean bill of health, then took it out for a road test.
Humm.... the chain snapped and wrapped itself around the front sprocket, wrecking the cases. My friend was not happy and got into a very heated discussion with the tester, accusing him of abusing the bike.
He went very quiet when the tester discovered exactly why the chain broke. It was made of at least two older chains that had been repurposed from said friend's other bikes. I mean, why buy new when you can use a perfectly good chain or two that haven't done a lot of miles, right?
The fact that his other bikes only made about half the power seemed to have escaped him.

That parsimony cost him dearly. The tester refused point-blank to foot the bill for a rebuild, quite rightly in my view.
He ended up getting the cases welded and a very neat job was made of them. I get the feeling it probably wasn't the only bike of its type that suffered a similar fate.

A friend bought one of the first ones in the area and was pleased to bits with it, rapidly clocking up the miles as he travelled all over.
He took it for an MoT (inspection) and the tester passed it with a clean bill of health, then took it out for a road test.
Humm.... the chain snapped and wrapped itself around the front sprocket, wrecking the cases. My friend was not happy and got into a very heated discussion with the tester, accusing him of abusing the bike.
He went very quiet when the tester discovered exactly why the chain broke. It was made of at least two older chains that had been repurposed from said friend's other bikes. I mean, why buy new when you can use a perfectly good chain or two that haven't done a lot of miles, right?
The fact that his other bikes only made about half the power seemed to have escaped him.

That parsimony cost him dearly. The tester refused point-blank to foot the bill for a rebuild, quite rightly in my view.
He ended up getting the cases welded and a very neat job was made of them. I get the feeling it probably wasn't the only bike of its type that suffered a similar fate.

On the K0 (first year) Honda switched from a 16/45 sprocket set up the a 17/48. The smaller front was very prone to snapping chains and sending them through the engine block. Honda got tired of replacing motors.

There's a story out there about Old Man Honda taking one for a ride himself while they were testing prototypes in the desert. Someone should find that story, would love to read it again.
There were prototype models sent to the US, specifically CA, and appeared at the '69 Dealer Convention in Las Vegas. I've not come across the story you reference (he would have been 63). He was known to have been personally involved in the development, often visiting the shop floor and was in attendance at the '69 Las Vegas convention.

https://www.cb750.com/threads/history-of-the-cb750-a-compendium.7937/

Last edited:
I have a guy down the street with a small collection of SOHC CB750’s. 3 whole bikes, 4 motors, swingarms, parts out the ass. Problem: a guy has to buy it all.

Yes saving on chains is a mistake ( Made that mistake myself ) but over the years I have heard a lot of stories of test riders going full throttle
Sometimes to test if the top speed was true .. And wheelie on to the rear wheel.
I have heard of Auto shops using customers Porsches and so at nights ..
Heard of MOT testers not knowing what they are doing dropping bikes pulling of throttle wires
In the 70 ies they had a Bike Show and the dealers had their new bikes there for testing I dont think anyone got killed but that was mostly luck. ON -- OFF Throttle control Tires worn out quickly

I have a friend with an Early 70 ies Harley with hand shift and foot clutch. I don't believe the MOT tester ever got it past. 1 st gear .. And the ride is a couple of hundred meters on the Yard.
One year the clutch was ON --OFF bike Lunged forward with squealing back tire ..
He did not drop it but again mostly luck.

So my guess is that the Tester has opened up Many would .. And strictly speaking why not
It can be viewed as a safety item ..
If the chain broke at the corner after the test.. and some bystander was hurt .. The tester could be jailed for not doing his job.

I have a guy down the street with a small collection of SOHC CB750’s. 3 whole bikes, 4 motors, swingarms, parts out the ass. Problem: a guy has to buy it all.
Will the guy down the street make you swear out a solomn oath to keep all the bikes and spares once you have bought them all ?
Or inflict physical harm to you if you were to sell two of the bikes, and most of the spares ?
His refusal to split his collection probably means he is only getting serious offers from dealers - at a price they can make a good profit on

Back