I did some frame measurement conversions

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I needed to make some sense out of the metric measurements. So I decided to share my figures. I used an online calculator so if there wrong..blame the internet.

Attachments

• Frame in inches.pdf
    83.9 KB · Views: 251
Why use some internet calculations? 1 inch = 25.4 mm. Just multiply inches x mm.
reverse to go from mm to inches, mm divided by 25.4 gets inches.
Leo

I did this mainly because it makes more sense to many other people than metric. Besides, as an inches guy, I have trouble picturing a mm. I figured any help is help.

...as an inches guy, I have trouble picturing a mm...

I use a flea as a millimeter reference.
Yes, it's tiny, but can still be seen.
Flea-on-fingertip-300x225.jpg

25 of them will fit into an inch, make a pretty good itch, but you'll get used to them.
285x285_Flea_Bites_3.JPG

Our European friends have been dealing with these for a long time.
And, outside of the Black Plague, they've adapted quite well...

I did this mainly because it makes more sense to many other people than metric. Besides, as an inches guy, I have trouble picturing a mm. I figured any help is help.

Actually metric measurement is used by a very large majority of people around the world. United States and one other small country are the only countries left in the world not officially using metric.

In case americans are not aware, your changeover to metric is in progress even as we speak. It started it the mid 1970's and is still in progress. Maybe in another 50 to 100 years, americans will finally switch over:)

Congress enacted the Metric Conversion Act in 1975 to commence the conversion process. However, these good intentions were extremely poorly applied because someone had the bright idea to strip out the 10-year deadline and make the conversion voluntary. Of course no one wanted to willingly change to metric.

Canada switched over in the 1970's, and I survived it without much pain. Nowadays I use both systems, as do most canadians, because the USA is our largest trading partner. I buy my gas in litres, and think about consumption in km/L, but I also use US mpg. I know that I'm 5 ft 11.5 inches tall, and have no idea what that is in metric.

Our grocery stores sell apples by the pound. Meat is sold by the kg, but lbs is still on the label. I still set my valve clearances in thousands of an inch, because that's how I learned as a teenager.

In Canada we have 2 official languages, so having 2 measurement systems seems normal to me.

So guess what my american friends...................you will get changed over to metric; its just a matter of when, not if.

Oh, by the way, eventually the countries of the world will all be speaking just one language, and that will be Mandarin :D

Back