I don't know what style it fits into other than my own, so I just call it "Mjölnir"

Old Fart tip: That's how we keep things from rusting.

And, when it stops leaking, you need oil...

....pulling into the station the pump jockey said, "ya know, yer smokin' a bit there?"

"Yup" says I. "She's old. But I check her oil. If she's NOT smokin', that's when I worry about it!" :wink2:

:D:thumbsup:

I am too hyped on this thing now that I finished the new seat.

Matte black, UV-resistant, canopy material with hand-sewn pleats wrapped around a fiberglass pan that extends up onto the tank for a little nut-pad.

GY76zef.jpg

ZSy0exz.jpg

The oil mist issue is also fixed, thanks to a fresh clutch gasket. Took a lot of elbow grease and paint stripper to remove the old gasket. I also installed new clutch discs and springs while I was in there.

And lastly, a little retrospective: The squattier photo is from July 2013, the taller one is current.

RDCDMdo.gif

Looking good - everything except the tail light/license plate setup, which quite frankly looks like ass. Just sayin', Nutty. A subdued LED brake-light tucked up under the rear of the seat would be much better.

Looking good - everything except the tail light/license plate setup, which quite frankly looks like ass. Just sayin', Nutty. A subdued LED brake-light tucked up under the rear of the seat would be much better.

Haha I completely agree. I've been piecing together parts to build a new tail light, and am going to run a small fender too, I think. Baby steps.

I really dig that new stance! Your bike really captures the spirit of why I ride and tinker on these old motorcycles. Kudos bro!

I'm about to order some rear shocks and was curious as to the length you're running? Also, did you finally end up lowering your forks at all?

I really dig that new stance! Your bike really captures the spirit of why I ride and tinker on these old motorcycles. Kudos bro!

I'm about to order some rear shocks and was curious as to the length you're running? Also, did you finally end up lowering your forks at all?

the seat is sick man, the contour of that line is buttery smooth!

Thank you guys so much! I'm just trying to focus on functionality while making it the most fun possible, and the aesthetic is [luckily] following suit.

As far as the shock length, I got them from Dave Quinn Motorcycles. I sent him the image below along with my weight, plans for cargo, riding style, etc; then we chatted on the phone to finalize my choice. I cannot recommend ordering shocks from Dave enough, he's great to talk to, and his insight was invaluable.

I can't find it in my notes unfortunately, but I'm almost positive they are 14.25". I can measure them when I get home later and try to account for sag if you'd like.

ED9zgEz.jpg

Hey, thanks the_nutt.

I have an '81 Special, originally with ridiculous low shocks and long(ish) forks. I was originally thinking 13.5" for shocks and lowering the fork, but I really like the nice high stance you've got going on now. I might have to take a page from your book and call Dave Quinn for some long shocks and just rock out with my stock forks!

Hey, thanks the_nutt.

I have an '81 Special, originally with ridiculous low shocks and long(ish) forks. I was originally thinking 13.5" for shocks and lowering the fork, but I really like the nice high stance you've got going on now. I might have to take a page from your book and call Dave Quinn for some long shocks and just rock out with my stock forks!

I really like how the extra height gives me a better vantage point in traffic, and helps me be a little more visible as well.

I'm actually going to lower the front end 1" with a Hugh's kit to fake a more aggressive head tube angle feel; mostly to make up for the additional length added by the 35mm forks and fat fuck front tire.

Talking to Dave is a good option whether you're trying to make it scrape the ground, or put it on a lift kit like I did, haha. Good luck!

Back