I just realized I can't make money building bikes.

Correction : the last 500 "Specials" were sent to Holland and sold as 1985 models.
These were built for the USA

This is interesting.........In 1990 I bought a Canadian 5V5-030*** in NZ from a dealer..........On our registration papers all Owners, Dealers or private, had their names and mileage recorded when the bike was bought and also the mileage was recorded when sold. The bikes first owner was a dealer in 83, I would confidently say the bike was shipped straight from Japan to NZ as our XS650's were only made till 81 then discontinued.........US Heritage specials were discontinued in 83 but Canadian Heritage Special models were produced till 84, (5V5-040***......and some sold as 85's, (5V5-042***), although i have not had confirmation on the 042 ID

Do you know if the models sent to Europe were Spoke wheels or Mag?

As a hobby, bikes are a good investment.
As an investment? It's a good hobby.
And it keeps you off those seedy street corners at night. :wink2:
That's where I was at with my gun collection. Realized it when I had to move the collection and the wife was appalled with just how many I had... :yikes:

I think of myself as an enthusiast and I just really enjoy taking an old bike that looks like it was dragged through Hell and then left to die a miserable death. I know making much, if anything on it is a pipedream but Michigan winters can be a real bitch if your don't ski or snowmobile and I don't do either any more. But I can use those four or more months to tinker on that Old motorcycle and come spring it will have gone through a metamorphosis and will be able to fire up and run with the best of them. I take pride in being able to do something that none of my friends would dare to tackle, not that they probably couldn't if they would put their mind to it but because they don't have the nads to try. They look at what I do and just stand there with awe at how it was possible. That's where I get my drive and my satisfaction. I hate to say it but our hobby/sport is dying because the number of people who are willing to tackle something that actually takes time and determination is dwindling and at an increasing rate. I'll be 70 in a few months and I can still out do most 20 year olds and personally think that's pretty cool. The cost of doing what I like to do is simply the cost of my preferred entertainment. I'm happy.

Sorry 2M, that was kinda confusing, wasn't it? What I meant was when you're in "acquisition mode", you're eventually faced with a situation when you go through everything and realize too much is just too much. But, then, "old money" can be used to finance new projects. Over time, my gun collection set me up with three bikes and a lot of tools. And the bikes keep you busy and off those street corners!

So I got some good news. After a few "fuck-around" interests in the bike and my impatientness in getting a boat, I bought a boat and took the ad down for the bike to keep that too. Winning.

Been there before, almost exactly the same thing. My wife insisted we get a boat but now I'm the guy who has to get it to the lake, put it in, motor it around for a few hours then get it out, get it back home, put the cover back on it, etc,etc. You know what they say about boats? The best two days you have it are the day your bought it and the day you sold it. Been there twice. Guess I didn't learn after the first time.

Back