I need electrical hand holding. Which regulator/rectifier?

drgonzo

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to get my old XS2 street operation again. Running the points and stock charging system. If I wire it like this diagram, what regulator/rectifier should I buy? I prefer to use a combo reg/rec and a very small 12V battery or capacitor.
Thanks in advance.
noid-chopperwiringdiagram.jpg

OK, looks like I need the 1980 style.

Not so fast please ... in USA the 1980 and onward have another Alternator than pre 1980

Running the points and stock charging system.

XS 2 is an early model so if you order a later rectifier /regulator combo and install My first guess is that the regulator fries upon connecting
Not even puffing out any smoke

have not looked at the Schematic but please recheck .. Can save Money

Isn't that the reason for un-grounding the brushes?
Right.
There are some inexpensive diy regulators regulators. inexpensive aftermarket reg/recs are no bargain, many failures have been reported. The stock 80 up reg/recs are getting old and failures are happening. So far the old mechanical units are energizer bunnies. You do need a battery to bootstrap the stock charging system.

I think people a reluctant to recommend an all in one solution since the quality of the units are hard to vouch for. A lot of aftermarket stuff is of questionable quality and regulators are some of the more expensive items. Most of us go with cheap automotive regulators and rectifiers since we know what we are dealing with and none of them are going to be a several hundred dollar mistake.

I understand completely. I will look and see if the 77 frame I have still has any of it's electrics still intact and start from there.

I think people a reluctant to recommend an all in one solution since the quality of the units are hard to vouch for. A lot of aftermarket stuff is of questionable quality and regulators are some of the more expensive items. Most of us go with cheap automotive regulators and rectifiers since we know what we are dealing with and none of them are going to be a several hundred dollar mistake.

Yes Sir
I also have the feeling that the automotive parts are more easy to find.
Often possible to buy over the counter
Manufactured in large series and typically for a bit larger Amperage making them a bit more tolerant should a spike or two
come

I have had problems with the stock relay type regulator ..and given up on those

Isn't that the reason for un-grounding the brushes?

Just to clear up the grounding and underground............

70-79 has a B type charging system

80-83/4 has an A type charging system

The 80-83/4 SS combined reg/rect, (A type charging system), can be swapped into the 70-79, (B type charging system), by isolating the ground brush and energizing it of the brown power wire

Aftermarket Automotive Regulators can be bought as an A or B type .................... there is no need to change the brush system on your factory original Stator if you buy the right Regulator for the right system.

There are Combined SS Reg/Rect that can be bought for the 70-79 points system, (B type), charging system.........Buying automotive regulators and a 3 Phase rectifier can save quite a bit of money and have been found to be more reliable than some of the cheap SS Reg/Rect

Just expand a bit on Skull's comment.... the most common automotive regulator for the B type system is the VR-115. A search for that will expand to other models, but that's the one most commonly used.
the most common automotive regulator for the A type system is the VR-794. For some reason I'm not sure of, the 794 is becoming harder and harder to come by, and I'm not sure of a good replacement for it.

Just expand a bit on Skull's comment.... the most common automotive regulator for the B type system is the VR-115. A search for that will expand to other models, but that's the one most commonly used.
the most common automotive regulator for the A type system is the VR-794. For some reason I'm not sure of, the 794 is becoming harder and harder to come by, and I'm not sure of a good replacement for it.

Looks like the VR170 from Rock Auto is the same as the older VR794 Jim.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/standard+motor+products,VR170,voltage+regulator,4884

VR-170_Front__ra_p.jpg

Back