I think I'd like to change my tappet cover studs for normal bolts!!!

Smeggy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Good Evening from Scotland, you beautiful people.
Long vertical studs pulling the engine together I get - but
WHY DO WE HAVE STUDS FOR THE TAPPET COVERS?
What is the engineering there?

I agree with the durability. Conjecture: it may be possible that the engineers thought it looked better; you get to use those cool acorn nuts.

Good Evening from Scotland, you beautiful people.
Long vertical studs pulling the engine together I get - but
WHY DO WE HAVE STUDS FOR THE TAPPET COVERS?
What is the engineering there?

Attachments

• rocker covers scews or studs.jpg
    rocker covers scews or studs.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 83
One thought I might have if replacing the studs with bolts would to first install steel thread inserts. Have not looked to see if there is room for keenserts (not sure of the spelling and seem to be having trouble doing a google search). Maybe less desirable would be Heilicoil inserts(again not sure on spelling)!

Well now! Those flanged socket-head bolts DO look good - different👍

Oops! Button-head (need new glasses) - still look good - but maybe flanged allen better??

I think repeatedly threading a nut on a steel stud holds up better than tightening a bolt into an alloy head. I wouldn't change them.
Yes. That is it! Thank you.
So rather than regularly tighten/untighten hard steel into soft aluminium, screw a steel stud deep into the aluminium only once - then every time you take a tappet cover off you are steel on steel!!! Got it, Brilliant. Thanks again, that was close!!

You realize that's strictly form over function.....but that's also we motorcyclists being "rugged individualists" lol

I've run across many more stripped engine case screws than I have valve cover studs.

Mind yer torque specs and you should last without stripping 'em outta the head.
The usual suspect is the front right bottom one. I think red locktite to keep it from turning would keep it from stripping, on the theory that it has to turn before it can strip the threads it's in. It could still just pull the eff out but it would take a lot more force. Also, you have your choice of gasket or big o-ring on those. I think the o-ring takes less torque to get sealing.

Yea, unless a previous "issue", 7ftlbs - even on the 8mm - should be plenty tight. If not sealed, it's another problem

Honestly, I'm surprised they work as well as they do, lol. The acorn nuts stay tight even without lock washers, and the covers usually seal up fine if the o-rings (or gaskets) are OK. The o-ring has a rather oddball 2.8mm diameter. I use 3mm ones, they fit fine and I think they seal even better, and they're easy to get.

Back