Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
20201029_171720.jpg
20201029_171950.jpg
20201029_171642.jpg
Mystery To Me
Cleaning and sorting my work area and reducing the tool box count down to one. In the back of a drawer I see this instrument packaged in a fold out leather case. One side has a view port in it with a thin needle. Dial has symbols unknown to me. It is about the size of a pack of cards cut in half.
Have no idea how I got it or where it came from.
Anybody know what it is and what it measures?

First thought was its a meter used to help set up a camera........is there a type of panel on the eos end that would let light in

Yes, one end is clear to allow light in. So it's a light meter, eh?
Looking at it now with that hint establishes what it is, thanks.
Shows how long I have been using automatic cameras. I must have had that since the middle 70's. Do not recall ever using it.

My dad had an old 35 mm camera that he bought in the early 60’s. It took beautiful photos, but it had to have the ambient light measured , with a separate light meter similar to yours. Then set the aperature on the camera lens and click away. It was a slow process. Then he would have slides made that got thrown in a box in the top of the hall closet, never to be seen again!
I thought it was so much fun that I bought a Fujica fully manual 35 mm camera in the eighties, but the light meter was built into the view finder. A little faster, but not much.

Dad was a 16mm film fanatic. used a light meter whenever he used the movie camera..........In those days there was always a groan when he would make us get dressed and pose for a movie when ever there was a significant event in our lives growing up..........these days i can look back and watch, 5 min movies of the families first days at school, holidays, first ride of a bike, first steps as a baby and as he was an airshow fanatic also some unique footage of some of the old airshows in NZ............one in particular was the opening air port in wellington. It was the first time The Vulcan bomber was flown, (around 60-62), in NZ and as it came into to land, the pilot hit hard and the wheel strut got driven up into the fuselage. the pilot gunned the engine and took off again to land somewhere safe .........almost all caught on camera, coming in to land, but to many heads in the way for the actual touchdown but could see the as it lifted of and the trail of fuel behind, with the wheel still down at an odd angle............the pilot saved a major crash and the possibility of deaths by managing to get the plane back into the air and not committing to the landing.

just done a search, it was 59 and here is an article about it
https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/8420667/Retired-wing-commander-remembers-near-miss

Last edited:
Back