Identifying a 1979 Model

Astrolite

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My first post on this great forum. I'm looking at, what I'm being told is a 1979 model, the title does back that up. I would like to confirm that it is a 79 and also the model. I did read through the below referenced post of 650Skull on the various models for each year.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

But what I noticed was that the bike I'm looking at seem to have the wheels of a Special and the pipes of a Standard model. Is there a way, maybe through VIN number, to tell what this bike was originally?

Attachments

• Yamaha XS650 NC.jpg
    Yamaha XS650 NC.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 84
Yes, you could use the vin number to I.D. it. It does look like a Special with the exhaust changed to one from a Standard model. The Special had the rear disc brake, the Standard had a drum. The Special frame differs slightly from the Standard one. The shocks lay down at more of an angle and the passenger peg/muffler hanger bracket differs. The Standard bracket is a full loop while the Special one is just a single tube sticking out .....

XS650 Before5.JPG

DrumBrakeLightSwitch.jpg

SpecialDrumSwitch.jpg

The headlight ears also differed, and I can see from your pic, you have the Special ones. The ears attach near the top of the tube and stick straight out. The Standard ones attach lower and angle up .....

BarAngle.jpg

Same issue with me........I recently purchased this motorcycle, and have not picked it up yet. The headlight mounts appear to be low and angle upward. The tank is obviously from another year, as are the handlebars and seat? The previous owner said this is a 1979 XS650F. Any thoughts.......dont have the VIN yet.
CA08325E-52D8-4E7C-BAE4-F8102021A601.png

Same issue with me........I recently purchased this motorcycle, and have not picked it up yet. The headlight mounts appear to be low and angle upward. The tank is obviously from another year, as are the handlebars and seat? The previous owner said this is a 1979 XS650F. Any thoughts.......dont have the VIN yet.View attachment 251857
Yes, it could certainly be an F. The seat is for an SE or SF (Special). Front fender also Special. The handlebar is something other than XS650. The headlight ears are correct for an F. Your bike is positively standard, not a Special.

Same issue with me........I recently purchased this motorcycle, and have not picked it up yet. The headlight mounts appear to be low and angle upward. The tank is obviously from another year, as are the handlebars and seat? The previous owner said this is a 1979 XS650F. Any thoughts.......dont have the VIN yet.View attachment 251857

Yes, it could certainly be an F. The seat is for an SE or SF (Special). Front fender also Special. The handlebar is something other than XS650. The headlight ears are correct for an F. Your bike is positively standard, not a Special.
Thanks Marty........gonna have some fun riding this guy.

Vin is the best way to identify. There have been some odd ones pop up though

78E and 79F differences are very few. Factory paint is the big tell. Yours doesn't have that so......Also various parts from 74-79 swap between models without any visual change. There is every possibility that could have happened on a 40 year old bike.

The gauge cluster is also the big visual difference on the 79F, speedo and rev-counter changed.
78E..................................................................79F
1 2a.JPG1937435_604345796358340_4448966886387950466_n.jpg

Side covers had a fixed badge, (only standard model to have them), If there are filled in holes it could be a tell

The sticker on the front frame down tube looks like it is an EPA mandated sticker from a 79 model. May have been on earlier models but the 79F is the only one i have seen them on.
00E0E_gYLwovPvWWl_1200x900 crop.jpg

Standard seat changed a bit over the years. The factory 79F had a definite King/Queen style seat...................yours on that bike is from a 78SE/79SF/80G-SII

Visual and written differences between models here.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Judging by the yellow plug wires, I'd guess that someone's put an electronic ignition on there. Boyer...Pamco or the knockoffs. I suppose it's possible someone just changed out the original wires, but more likely an electronic iggy.

Vin is the best way to identify. There have been some odd ones pop up though

78E and 79F differences are very few. Factory paint is the big tell. Yours doesn't have that so......Also various parts from 74-79 swap between models without any visual change. There is every possibility that could have happened on a 40 year old bike.

The gauge cluster is also the big visual difference on the 79F, speedo and rev-counter changed.
78E..................................................................79F
View attachment 251880View attachment 251881

Side covers had a fixed badge, (only standard model to have them), If there are filled in holes it could be a tell

The sticker on the front frame down tube looks like it is an EPA mandated sticker from a 79 model. May have been on earlier models but the 79F is the only one i have seen them on.
View attachment 251882

Standard seat changed a bit over the years. The factory 79F had a definite King/Queen style seat...................yours on that bike is from a 78SE/79SF/80G-SII

Visual and written differences between models here.

Judging by the yellow plug wires, I'd guess that someone's put an electronic ignition on there. Boyer...Pamco or the knockoffs. I suppose it's possible someone just changed out the original wires, but more likely an electronic iggy.
thanks Jim.....just getting started in the Yamaha Community. Ive been a Kaw guy most of my life. Had to have an XS. I just (finally) finished this KZ1000. Retirement has it's privileges!
A7DBD592-5017-45E1-8490-B6B20DFD4CD7.jpeg

Back